RE dried out tublers

Tuckerton, NJ

hello got some great tublers last year ,they looked great, tucked them away for the winter now they look really dry. are they any good. there not roten just really dry not brittle still have a tubler in there. thank you bonnie

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

If they are still firm and have any moisture left in them they may grow.. the only way you will know for sure is to plant them.. keep moist, not wet and give them a chance. If they are too dried out, they are done for.

Tammie

Tuckerton, NJ

Hi Tammie thanks i will plant them right now, if not i will have nothing for show this year and belive me i had a show stopper of cannas last year. 0)

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

They're pretty tough. I too would plant them as I bet a lot of them are still okay.

Karen

Tuckerton, NJ

Karen i planted them and i said grow my little babies please so far nothing but im praying something comes out of them i had a few gave alot away i like to stay on the quite side and see who wants stuff and just privatly mail them. its ok if not this year theres always next year. thank you bonnie lynn

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Just give them lots of time. They can be slow to come up.

Good luck,

Karen

Tuckerton, NJ

Thank you Karen I have been checking every day and say you can come out now no one but me is looking the dogs look out the window like im crazy.

Winnsboro, TX

Hey I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that talks to my plants and tell them to grow and so forth. Yesterday my husband asked me why I left the radio going on the back deck. I told him cause my plants enjoy listening to the music. I think he's ready to have me certified "Plant Crazy". LOL

Happy Gardening, Marian
P.S. I'm still needing cannas to plant along some of my paths and little trails here and there on the farm.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Bonnie,

Keep talking to them. Last winter I had a walnut tree I was sure was dead. Every day I went out and talked to it, "Mr Walnut Tree, you can't die now. We've been through too much together." We brought it from CA to AL in a very large pot. After about a month, Mr. Walnut Tree put out new sprouts at the base. Alas, I may be destined to have a walnut bush instead of a walnut tree. The trunk died again this winter, but Mr. Walnut Tree has new sprouts again. I'm thinking about the possibility of insulating his trunk next winter.

So, call it talking to your plants or positive thinking, it often works.

Marian,

Yep, a lot of folks think I'm nuts, too. Don't care. I only wish I was rich enough to qualify as eccentric instead of crazy. LOL.

As far as the music goes, though, there have been many interesting studies involving the effects of playing different kinds of music for the plants. If I remember correctly, they did best with soft music or classical, worst with rock.

Karen

Tuckerton, NJ

still nothing but i am patient i have a few more months i tell them then i will dig you up and see if theres any one down there left worth saving to next year lol. my kids say shes out there talking to the plants when she talks to us it sounds like shes screaming 0( i say no thats my inside voice lol this is i want you to grow voice like i want you to do good in school voice oh they weed the hole yard and mowed it today are you two sick no we live here to you no good i got some plants in the car get them out i will dig the holes they were gone with that one 0( but its all done now moles got to alot of things iris are looking great and the day lilies are all about to bloom.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Bonnie,

Seems like forever, I know, but it's only been about two weeks. I'm keeping the good thought for them. Tell your kids that we all talk to our plants. LOL. I have so far this year had several plants come back up that shouldn't have. Two large spath lilies in pots. Looked deader than a doornail. But I dug down and discovered that while the crowns were definitely goners, the main roots were very healthy looking. A couple of weeks ago, they finally started showing some life and now each have8 or 10 new leaves coming up. Yes!

I left a huge Boston fern outside last winter. I should have brought it up onto the deck, but I didn't. This spring I was sure it had drowned from all the rain over the winter. It did not come back on time, and I kept saying that I had to take the time to check it out by tipping it at least part way out of the pot. But with other things to do, I didn't get around to it. Day before yesterday, I looked and even though it's very, very late coming out of dormancy this year -- it has new leaves coming up! Yes, Miss Fern is still alive!

Alas, I did have some that didn't make it. When I dug up the roots, it was clear that they were dead. However, there are several yet that have a chance that I am still waiting on, so patience is the watch word here. If you don't see anything in a couple of months, gingerly dig a couple of them up and see what's happening.

Karen

Tuckerton, NJ

Karen glad to hear that your plants are listening to you and behaving lol. im still looking for a sigh but nothing so far.when i had them in the box i saw all sorts of green and about two weeks before i planted them they dried up i dont no why they were looking great but i didnt check on them maybe i should have planted them then but i was afraid of the frost. 0(

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Bonnie,

Yep, you probably should have planted them then. They really don't care about frosts very much, I don't think.

Just for curiosity, are you sure you need to dig cannas for the winter? I looked up your hardiness zone, and I get 7-8. If that's correct, I would think you could leave them in the ground. I leave mine in the ground, and I am in 7b. I had three large nursery pots of them (temporary, you know, haha) last winter. Being in the pots would reduce the zone to about 6b. They were fine there.

Karen

Tuckerton, NJ

oh my if i would have known that but i was told by everyone to dig them up or they would die oh my im really so upset now and we had such a mild winter to boot.oh well you live and now you cry why my little flowers wont bloom. ok i must stop talking to them then theres nothing there, there not growing i will see if i can get some more later on.0(

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Bonnie,

Our winter was colder than usual -- even got a dusting of snow a couple of times -- and I don't believe the cannas noticed. You could mulch them really well to be on the safe side. I didn't, though, and they came up this spring like gangbusters. I am so sorry to hear that yours didn't make it. I sure was keeping my fingers crossed.

Cannas are so doggone expensive. But one good thing is that they multiply fast. I have a lot of the ones with red tubular flowers as they were planted by the previous owner. Even though to us humans they are not the prettiest of the cannas, they hummingbirds love them.

Karen

Thumbnail by glendalekid
Tuckerton, NJ

i just love them i cleared a hole big spot last year and thats all i put there then when someone i saw wanted or need some i gave my extras away they mulitplied and someone always shares so why not there such nice people in the world and thank you for the offer on the seeds i see cannas on the ground soon yippie its so bear over there i weed it i do have a few trees now two peach and a cherry and a strawberry tree not doing well somone stole the mate or ran it down when they thought that it was a parking lot i stoned half and made the other half a garden hello people the stones are for parking not even turning around on and the dirt is garden, i have a sign now no tresspassing.its not that big just two or three cars but its for the kids not me i park at the top right in the front my house. my spot ok im laughing again.wow they really are nice thats this years already my stuff is just starting to look out its now getting hot out its 74 out side right now nice sleeping weather no ac tonighthave a great night

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Bonnie,

These red ones are really tough little guys, and if you keep them dead headed they will bloom until frost knocks them down. Before we moved here, these did not even get watered unless it rained. Cannas do like lots of water, though. It will be neat to have them growing in NJ, too.

My daughter created a parking space at the end of our driveway. People kept driving too far and running over stuff, so she got some big logs and put them out for barriers. That worked!!

It's 73 degrees here now. We've been having day time temps in the mid-90s and night time lows in the mid-70s. I think your zone is very close to ours. It's zone 8b downtown, but out here in the hills above town, our temps are about 10 degrees colder, hence we are about 7b.

BTW: I'm also growing brugs in the ground. They died down in the winter, but came right back this spring. They are about 5' tall and blooming like crazy. Notice the ugly wire fence around them? That's to keep my daughter's dogs out. It's not pretty, but it's effective.

Have a good day tomorrow,

Karen

Thumbnail by glendalekid
Tuckerton, NJ

My hole back yard has the ugly green fence thats were i plant the vegs. thats were the dogs are and they think the tomatos are balls till they get a hold of one then they realize its free food for the picking we dont need to ask anyone just go and get it when we want and drag the plant so i put the green fence up. i have railroad ties up there friends no better but the next street over is a camp ground and if they realize there on the wrong street the use it as a u turn 0( nice brugs i got a few two years ago they came up nice when they were done blooming i sent them off to spend the rest of there years in fla. with a dear friend she gets the tropicals after i enjoy them.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

My veggie garden also has a matching fence like this around it. My other flower beds have shorter wire fences around them as well. I don't have to fence the flowers that are outside the house fence, but then I have to watch out for the deer. Can't win, sometimes.

Karen

Tuckerton, NJ

oh i have deer bit i use deer scram and they walk right thru the yard and eat the guys stuff next door and not mine but pay attention to the next application or they will feast on yours i do mine evey 35 days and i have no trouble they just walk on buy i have 35 deer in the yard some mornings. i works great

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

The deer ate one of my roses last year -- good thing it was only a $2.00 one. They also ate my pumpkin and watermelon vines. I've read that if you lay 4' dog wire or similar on the ground around the area you want to protect that the deer will not cross the wire. Sort of like a cattle guard works. I'm going to try it with my squash and melons this year.

Karen

Tuckerton, NJ

let me no how that works it would be way much cheaper then the deer scram what i like about it is that it last in the rain and no odor

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I will. I only have to put it on two sides as the other two sides of the patch back up to my neighbor's garden with an electric fence. LOL. I'll let you know if it works.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.