Hydrangea help

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

The new leaves of my hydrangea are 'stuck together', I think by some sort of worm or insect but I can't find any info on it. Any thoughts out there????

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Mites and aphids can cause that type of damage/problem.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

PS - I forgot to ask if you had used pesticides near the shrub. Some of them can also cause this problem when the wind blows it towards a hydrangea.

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I only use pesticides when I have NO choice and that's not too often. Opened up all the stuck leaves and found a worm of some sort. I figured I couldn't do ore damage 'unsticking' and now the birds can have lunch

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

Found the answer

Leaves Webbed Together
Leaftiers - Hydrangea leaftier larvae are green caterpillars, 1/2 inch long, with dark brown heads. These caterpillars protect themselves while feeding by binding adjacent leaves together. Hydrangea foliage becomes ragged and unsightly, turns brown and dies. For minor infestations, crush the larvae in their rolled hideouts. To counter major attacks, spray the foliage of vulnerable shrubs with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) just as the caterpillars begin feeding. Repeat every week or 10 days while the caterpillars are feeding. They will ingest the bacteria as they feed and die in a day or two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.