Zone 6... is it too late for corn ?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Memorial Day is almost upon us. Time has flown.

Is it too late to plant corn in zone 6 ? If not, what varieties would be best ?

I don't have a huge area, so really want a good flavored one. Looking for taste rather than quantity. There's just the 2 of us now to enjoy it.

Spot we have for corn is only about 7' x 15', so I can water if needed when it gets hotter this summer.

Any favorites you'd recommend ?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Go for it! This is the time!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Agreed, this is a good time, tho you can plant through June if your summers don't get too hot. As for varieties, Go to Plantfiles, scroll down to corn and look for varieties with the green star. Those are the ones that folks have written good comments about.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Ok, that's just what I was hoping to hear.

I did try to plant corn about 3 weeks ago, but it never came up.

I believe the ground was too wet and soil too cool, as my green beans, planted at the same time, never came up either. I just planted the beans again about a week ago, and they are up now, so maybe the soil is ready. I was just worried about having enough time left for a crop of corn to mature.

Thanks,

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I t hink a lot of people are in this position given the cold, wet spring. I'll be replanting corn and beans again this weekend, but I'll be going with shorter-season corn now.

Paducah, KY

It's definitely not too late for you to plant (I lived in Oklahoma City for most of my life before moving to Kentucky!). I started some corn (an "early" variety) 4 weeks ago--it's about a foot tall now, and I plan on doing a second planting around mid-June so that I can get a second harvest. Just be sure that you plant it close enough together so that you can have adequate pollination!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the encouragement. Now that you mention a second planting, seems like I remember people around here talking about a second crop a few years ago.
I think the seed I have is Silver Queen or King... or something like
that. Bought it in bulk at the feed store, so can't remember. I'm not sure if it is an early or late.....But the man at the feed store said he liked it better than Kandy Korn, which is the only one I've ever tried.

I'll be anxious to see if it's as good as he says.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Silver King is about 10 days earlier than Silver Queen, but size and flavor are about the same. They are midseason and late cultivars respectively. Favorites in this area, for my my money the best white corn available. Kandy Korn is good yellow, but not popular here.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Oh Goodie ! I didn't realize it would be a white corn. Any white corn I've ever tasted, always seemed to be more tender.

The Kandy Korn is always plenty sweet, but not quite as tender as
I'd like. (I may have picked it too late ??)

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

We like Incredible and Luscious..........and the old standby....butter and sugar or peaches and cream. DH just planted corn yesterday. We are in zone 7.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.