Kao Sala Phat adenium

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Beyond variegation.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Another pic of the same plant

Thumbnail by rylaff
Vieques, PR

amazing --how did you "create" that plant?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Pretty wierd, huh. The first leaves had some variegation. The next set of leaves are all white. I am sure that it will have more variegation as it leafs out more. But I thought it was pretty unusual looking

Brooklyn, NY

That is a beautiful plant...besides mystifying! Have you treated it any special way?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Nope, that is just the way it is growing.

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Rylaff, hopefully your plant gets more variegated leaves with chlorophyll!

Best regards,

Martin

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

I thought about that too, but then I looked a bit closer - the CAUDEX is green, so the plant is obviously photosynthesising through the stem as well as whatever little bit it can do through the leaves. I await further developments with baited breath

Ciao, KK.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It didnt do this last year. The first set of leaves were green, the next set were variegated, and then this.

Brooklyn, NY

Sort of like it's mutating. If it makes babies this season, I wonder what they'll look like!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Still doing okay. A couple of the older leaves have some green on them.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

And if you look really close you can see some tiny green flecks on the white leaves. This plant did not do this last year and I hope it survives. It had strong variegation but nothing like this.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Amazing. That's a real treasure there, Lisa! Thanks for sharing pics of it.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Amazing!

Townsville, Australia

That,s fann-tastic. Even if it had no green leaves there is enough chlorophyll in the abinistic leaves to keep it photosynthesizing. I have never seen anything like it before.!!!!! Did you grow the beauty from seed.? If so , what variety was it.? Bob.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It is Kao Sala Phat. I think I didnt grow it from seed, I think I got it from Snowbelt last year. Thankfully, it is now showing a little more green. I was worried that there would not be enough green for it to survive.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I am convinced that there is energy production in non green leaves.

I have a caladrum with 90-95% pure white leaves that I recently got on a close out sale for ugly plants. I trimmed it back. The first several leaves were almost totally green. The more recent leaves are almost totally white. The plant is thriving inside in my house in indirect light with water and Dyna Grow once a week.

It seems non green plants grow more slowly, but seem to be just as healthy as green leaved plants. I would not fear for this plant, but take care of it. It is surely a prize possession, and should be shown far and wide.

I have to say, when I first saw this post, I thought it was another 'look at my flowers' post. I looked at the picture and the nice flowers, and moved on. Today I noticed they are leaves.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Looks like a priceless oddity to me ;)
Id own that one anyday for the white leaves over flowers.
You have a special plant there buddy, treasure it
If you grow tired of it ill be happy to work out a new home for her. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.