Oh, the carnage!!!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

My order from Dave's Nursery arrived today - oh my gosh, I should have had a bigger breakfast to unpack it!!! Everything was wrapped amazingly, not a leaf or needle out of order by the time I got everything out of the box (which took about 10 minutes for five plants). I took three days off this week to tidy up the garden and scheduled to have these guys arrive at this time, and now it is RAINING!!! So, I need to wait to plant. ARGGGGG!

Of course, if we had a conifers forum, I could post this there as well ; ) (ducking from admins)

Here is a picture of the carnage after I finally got everything out. As you can see, it did not even make it past the front porch after the UPS guy put it there. I bet he was shocked to see me come flying out of the house, three dogs trailing and barking, when he rang the doorbell!

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

But rain is good for new trees!

;-)

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I ended up planting everything while it was still raining (it slowed to a light rain). I didn't want to try to take pictures in the rain...so hopefully tomorrow I'll get some and post them here. The order consisted of pinus parviflora 'tansu kazu', pinus parviflora 'gyoku sho hime', picea omorika 'treblitz', ginkgo biloba 'chase manhatten', and acer palmatum 'pixie'. Everything looks really good! I think my favorite from the order is the 'tansu kazu' - it has a tiny little cone on it that is so precious. The 'treblitz' has new growth that kind of looks like a larix, very cool! I don't know why, but it kind of looks like a captain of the chess team trying to impersonate a cool kid, it just has that air about it. I potted the 'chase manhatten' but everything else went in the garden. Grow well little trees! (but not too quickly, I want you to stay small!)

Elizabeth

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm interested to see how your 'Chase Manhattan' does. I have tons of Ginkgos and after 2 attempts with this one, they've both kicked the bucket. No different conditions, no neglect, no special treatment, no leaf-out in the spring, no logic.

Keep us posted....

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Compared to all the other Ginkgo biloba clones you have, dybbuk, 'Chase Manhattan' would simply be a vigorous weed. Take its space with the next extreme oddity that you run across.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, I hope I can keep it alive. I purchased only two ginkgos this year - the 'Chase Manhattan' and 'Majestic Butterflies'. I potted them both - I was really careful and even mixed my own potting mix. I plan on leaving them outside until it starts to get pretty cold, probably early December, then keeping them in the basement (which stays 40-50 degrees).

Am I setting myself up for disaster?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I know i'm obsessed. I just ordered a new one...
Ginkgo biloba 'Dancing Werewolf'

Just kidding.... :)

This message was edited May 23, 2008 10:23 PM

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't know about 'Chase Manhattan'. Someone else here had the same results as me, but it must survive for some or else it wouldn't exist....

How'd your 'Majestic Butterflies' do? I also got one last year also and it's coming along nicely although it seems to have an entire branch of green leaves. Am I supposed to clip that off? I have such a hard time pruning. OUCH!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I heard that you are supposed to trim the non-variegated portions off from other woody material, but have not heard what to do about ginkgos. Honestly, I'm a bit unimpressed with the 'Majestic Butterflies' I received. It was $75 - I expected a small plant and it is about 18" tall, but the leaves are nothing what I had hoped for. They are variegated, but it is really faint and nothing like the popping yellow that I hoped for.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Yeah the pics on Klehm's is pretty enticing vs reality. I felt the same way....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.