Iris ID help - I know it's not a TB ;-)

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Good morning!

I've potted up some divisions of an iris I've had for a few years, given to me by a neighbor who said he'd give me a name tag for it... and of course, he never did.

I know it's virtually impossible to get a correct cultivar name in person, much less by photo, but what I'd like to know is the class for this one.

What do you all think? Is it a Siberian, Japanese or Louisiana - or something else? Thanks for any help - I'm donating these to a fundraising plant sale for a little boy with a nasty childhood cancer, and while the folks who come to this sale aren't super-serious gardeners, I would like to be able to let them know at least the class.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here's the first photo. It was taken on June 7, 2006, here in Falls Church. I'd guess the stalk (scape?) was about 15" high.

Barb

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219

And here's the second photo. Taken same time, just a different view.

Thanks again!

I LOVE Iris, and am worried that I will succumb to an addiction to these beautiful plants that is as bad as the one I currently have for daylilies! ;-O

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Japanese.

If you feel the leaves they should have a rib in them, as opposed to a siberian which is smooth leaved.

I don't have a clue what cultivar. The Japanese, especially the purple are hard to tell apart from a photo.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Japanese.
lots of purples so name is ???
it dos'e not look like antique one , it a keeper

Thanks, pollyk! That's perfect - and the leaves definitely have a rib, so Japanese, it is.

I really appreciate your answer, and actually, it will also help me ID a clump of "heritage" iris I saved from my great-Aunt's yard after she passed away.

No worries as to the cultivar - I know that would be virtually impossible, and that's fine.

Thanks again..........Barb

Thank you, also, Tazzy, for confirming the class as Japanese.

And truly, I wasn't remotely concerned about learning the name (at least not for this sale!)
Just wanted to be able to label it as something more than "Mystery Iris, not bearded"!

I really appreciate the info............Barb

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. As Tazzy says it's a keeper. I'm particularly fond of the 3 fall purples.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.