Question

Mulberry, FL

I have a few of these I have started a few from seed It is a year old. How long does it take from seed before these get going. Started a few passion flowers from seed also. There about a year old 4-5 leaves and there not showing any signs of new growth. There in half day sun and have been fertilized.. There in decent sized pots i don't know any one could give me some ideas. thanks Dana

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dana...clematis are known as the "1st year they sleep, 2nd year they creap, and 3rd year they leap" BUT starting from seed means they take much longer to do this..seedlings are very hard to grow ..so I commend you on this...they should be started in small pots and moved up to larger as the roots begin to start coming out of the bottom..I bury my pots in my gardens during this period..once you have graduated to a one-gallon pot and the roots start coming out of the bottom THEN they are ready to go into your gardens..morning Sun and afternoon shade was smart of you..the less stress these babies have the better..Hope this helps...Jeanne
Here is the link to Brian Collingwoods site..he is a great Hybridizer of clematis from seed...I hope you enjoy his site..he is one of the greatest Clematarians around..
http://www.richardsdad.btinternet.co.uk/

Mulberry, FL

Thanks so much for your help.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

you are so welcome!!..Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.