Can you help me "correctly" ID these plants

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi,

I love the one in the middle, it is my fav, but I would really like to know the correct names for them.

Can you help at all??

Thanks my dear friends,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Its a "no" from me Debi, but maybe someone else can help. Did you put them in the plant ID forum? Theres a much larger knowledge base there.
Good luck
Sue
P.s nice healthy plants there Debi!

Well like the ID tag says ...Parodia Scopa or common name of Silver Ball Cactus. It enjoys full sun to morning sun ...almost no water in Winter ...in other words treat it like a cactus.
When a plant has a label you can google it. I can't read the label on the other one so you could try to google it.

Hey Sue why does your name appear in Blue and mine in green ...I always thought it had something to do with cool climate or warm climate /Winter Summer but it can't be that ...I wonder what it means? Does anyone know?

Hi Chrissy,

Thanks for that because you can think you have the correct name and then find out it is not that at all.

I am trying to get the correct names for all my collection.
When I bought that bulk plant buy, they were not all named.

But, I will never do that again as I think I bought the Mealy Bug home with me and the plants.

I will google that other name to see if it fits the look of it.

You are a gem, thanks my friend,

Debi & Sheila

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Umm, not sure Chrissy, cause they are all blue to me, unless I put my mouse over one, then it turns red!

Chrissy,

I think you name is green because you are in that forum.

Like to you when you pick this up, I will be blue, but I am green now.

Debi???

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Green is for somewhere you have already been recently. If you click on a Blue name it will take you to the members page. Use your back arrow to come back to this thread and you will find the name has turned to green. All the coloured links in DG do this. It can be very handy if you are working down a list of links in your journal, because you can see immediately where you have already been,

Ciao, KK.

Oh and I forgot:
Left: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/149150/ "Peanut Cactus"
Middle: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67360/ "Snowball Cactus"
Right: This is one of the mutant or montrose forms from the Opuntia group of Cacti. I can't tell you which one exactly at the moment, Mum is waiting to drive me up to see a house. Look here http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=opuntia&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=monstr&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
and here http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=opuntia&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=monstr&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
and here for possible matches. TTFN, KK.

This message was edited May 29, 2008 3:31 PM

Townsville, Australia

G,day Debi, The top one is an Echinopsis, most likely Echinopsis chamaecereus. I can,t guarantee the name without seeing the flowers as there are several that look similar and can only be identified by the flowers. The tall one is Opuntia subulata. Have fun with them but watch the Opuntia, they grow huge. Bob

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Townsville, Australia

Our friendly botanical taxonamists have been busy again. It is now Austrocylindropuntia subulata. Bob.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Umm Bob,
Much as I hate to disagree with anyone, blow Debi's original photo up and take a CLOSE look at all the little projections on the main stem - they are shoots and not leaves! The skinny bit with the leaves on is an Austrocylindropuntia, but I wouldn't be brave enough to commit to species yet as that bit is very immature, and they can be very indistinguishable at that stage. In any case any reverting growth like that will have to be cut off if Debi wants to maintain the monstrose form. I would be particularly careful with the subulata name as it is very frequently misapplied to A. cylindrica. The true A subulata is most easily distinguished by having the "biggest leaves in the genus" as Britton and Rose said in 'The Cactaceae' These leaves appear on the new growth and are quite persistent in nature. They will always reach at least 5cm in length and may, under good growing conditions, extend to over 12cm from end to end.

I am having my own ID traumas with that genus at present - I have a beautiful plant which I would swear is bigelowii EXCEPT for the fact that the stems are all about half as thick as they should be, and the spines are all much shorter and somewhat browner than the true bigelowii. Have you looked at the Austrocylindropuntia photos on CactiGuide.com? they are quite useful as there are few Austrocylindropuntia photo here on DG at present.

TTFN, KK.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.