Is this Lady Diana Canna?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I got this from a friend, he said it was called Lady Di or Lady Diana, I don't see either one on PF (unless I missed it somehow). Does anyone know if this is the right name for this canna? I don't know that much about them.

Thanks,
Onalee

Thumbnail by onalee
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here's another picture of the blooms, the leaves are green with light green/yellow stripes in them.

thanks again,
Onalee

This message was edited May 21, 2008 11:57 PM

Thumbnail by onalee
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, I did find a PRINCESS DI on the PF, but the leaves on those don't appear to be variegated. Could there be two different cannas, Lady Di AND Princess Di?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37513/

Thanks!
Onalee

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Onalee, It looks like Princess Di to me, it is very succeptible to virus and will show the symptoms heavily in my experience and I would say that's the striping you're seeing in the leaves. Give it some compost and plenty of water, it'll turn around in no time and look great.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shows what I know - I thought the leaves looked neat with that striping! ooops. Should I get rid of the plant if it has a virius? Will it spread to my other plants or cannas? How does it spread? I don't have this one near my other cannas, but I wouldn't want to jeapordize them for this -

Any info would be appreicated!

thanks,
Onalee

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's going to have to be a personal choice for you. The belief is that nearly every canna now has some form of virus to some degree even though you may not be seeing it. How it's spread is not entirely known but aphids are suspected, if it's aphids then just being in the same yard could expose your other plants. Years ago loads of growers and collectors burned their canna and got rid of dirt canna were growing in to try and rebuild stock with out virus, it seems impossible now to do this.

Add plenty of compost and water well....it should return to normal. Virus is something I would say the canna world is living with for the moment. I'm no expert BTW just get all this from what I've read.

Lynn

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info, Lynn!

Onalee

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Lynn ..lol
You are doing good :-)
Yes, you are correct that 'Princess Di' does not have variegated leaves.
Most likely it's exhibiting viral symptoms.
Alice

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Alice :P
Thanks for checking in on this, confirmation is a good thing!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks to everyone for all the help!!

Onalee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.