More Caladium Pictures

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

The other thread is getting pretty long. I will post a bunch of pictures tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Caladiums4Less
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

LOVE caladiums!

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Bill...I have a Sea of Caladiums at my front door! I'm just loving it! (planted exactly 6 weeks ago and they're still popping up!)

Thank-you for such amazing bulbs!

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG

Bill..The Thai varieties are starting to pop-up. I'm kind of on the fence about this variety.

Thumbnail by KatG
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful photos of your caladium gardens!

I am looking forward to seeing mine (from the co-op) pop out of the ground soon.

Planted some Caladium containers today...took the "Leung Pa Li" and kept it tropical!

Thumbnail by KatG

Rescued my poor Sun-beaten sad "Florida Beauty's" that are coming up from last year. I think they'll be much happier in a pot in less sun!

This message was edited May 26, 2008 10:32 PM

Thumbnail by KatG

Planted this one yesterday (yeah...stole a couple of already grown Miss Muffets from the front...hehe). I'm stealing Brindas ideas with the Caladiums and Oxalis...Love it!

This message was edited May 26, 2008 10:30 PM

Thumbnail by KatG

By the way Bill...that photo you've got posted is GORGEOUS!!!

A mixture of Pink Symphony and Miss Muffets at my front door...

Thumbnail by KatG

I tried some Galaxy's last year and they were nice but the one's I purchased from Bill this year are "Outstanding"...I also think I've got them in a better area - a little more shade...

Thumbnail by KatG

COME ON WARM WEATHER! I wan't to see everybody elses photos!!!!

Kat

Bill, here's the Vi Marn Mek variety sprouting...

I'm not overly excited!

Thumbnail by KatG

Bill...have you ever come across a black Caladium? I found a photo online - it looked exactly like the "Florida Beauty's" as it had the pink markings, but was black???

Tabasco...Can you get out there and just take a hair-dryer and warm up the dirt? hahahaha.

I want to see them!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

I took a couple pictures with the new camera I bought. I'm still figuring out how to use it.

Here's Blizzard

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

A new Thai Beauty

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Florida Beauty

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

This one is Rasberry Moon. I should have this one next year or should I say I will have it next year. It's a great container plant. I screwed up the picture though with the sun hitting the plant the way it is. I'll get a better shot. It's definitely unique!!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Kat,

I've never seen a black caladium but I do have a purple one. It's a deep purple with light purple spots. I can't seem to get more then three leaves at a time though. It was grown from a tissue culture.
I got it either last year or the year before, I can't remember. Imagine that......... Man I have CRS bad lately!!
I'll try to get a picture of it. Right now it only has two leaves but it does look like another one's ready to pop.
Your Galaxy looks great. The ones I sent you today should produce some more real nice plants for you!!

Well thanks alot Bill! Because of your Super-fast delivery of my last Caladium order I was guilted into planting them this weekend!

(I'm just kidding - that was absolutely wonderful service!)

Today it was 95 degrees here and I thought I was going to keel over! This is the other side of my entrance and I wanted to add something to the existing Galaxy Caladiums, so I mixed in a few "Sunpatiens" plants. Also planted these all down the front of my house and added the new Galaxy bulbs! (Those bulbs are fantastic, by the way!).

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG

it's a little unruly...but here's another view - the impatiens sure pick up the Rosebuds...

Thumbnail by KatG

Here's a container I made for one of my wonderful employees...

She's a religious gal, so I thought I would mix together a blend of plants with religious names...

Heart of Jesus - Rosebud Caladium
Crown of thorns
Angelonia - Angel Flower
Josephs Coat
Moses in a Cradle - Oyster Plant
Angel tears - trailing plant

I think she'll get a kick out of this!

Thumbnail by KatG
Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, it was hot today that's for sure!!!!!!!!!! I thought about that too. I just knew you were dying to dig in the dirt this week-end...lolol.... At least we got some rain here tonight, lord knows we need it. It poured for about an hour.
I worked on a huge bed today that has about 30 different varieties growing in it. I put down (25) bags of red mulch. It makes the caladiums look un-believable!!! It only took me all day to accomplish the work. I'd work for 15 minutes and then sit in the shade and admire the colors for 30 minutes...lolol....
It's coming out really nice!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for all my Thai's to come up. I have 16 Thai's potted and I just finished potting up a 17 qt. pot of every variety I currently have(38) and about a dozen more that I'll have next year. I'm going to have a professional photographer come out the end of July sometime and take pictures for me.
They're going to be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a beautiful home!!! Your Galaxy looks great!! The Rosebud which is one of my favorites looks awesome too!! I don't know what it is about Rosebud but I really like that one. If I can ever learn how to breed these things Rosebud will definitely be one of the parents. I can see it now, Big Bill's Beauty.....lolol.... How's that for an original name...lolol....

biLL

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

That is a beautiful container!!!! She'll love it!!!

Seattle, WA

This looks like a good place to post some caladium questions. :)

This year is the first time I've grown caladium. I started some Miss Muffets early this sping. The ones I kept indoors are going strong. In April I put four out in a planter in what I thought was a sheltered area. Begonias were doing well there! But the caladium did not thrive and even after I brought them back indoors they keeled over and died.

Question #1: Will they sprout again?
Question #2: I have started a second round (Frieda Hemple this time) and the leaves are beginning to unfurl. When will it be safe to put some of these outdoors?

I am in Seattle (Zone 8).

Thanks for any advice you can offer. :)

Oh you lucky guy! We've had no rain at all - it's all around us but not coming down here! Water restrictions are fierce - once a week. I snuck my sprinklers on earlier tonight as Monday is my watering day and now that it's past midnight I'm legal! Everything is dry as a bone.

Thank you so much for getting that order to me for the weekend! I really do appreciate it and didn't expect it. I need to re-mulch soon and am thinking of going to the red mulch instead of the pine bark. I can just imagine how it makes those darling Caladiams "Pop!".

How can you not smile at your Caladiums? hehehe. I was thinking about that today when I was out there - they're just the happiest looking plants ever! If you're ever feeling down...just go out and stare at a happy Caladium! You need to incorporate this thought into your advertising material! Endorsed by Dr.Cal Adium! hehehehe

I'm starting to like the new Thai's...but I'm not finding them that incredibly unique. Like you, I love the Rosebuds. They're a real strong plant also. I have to say though "Miss Muffets" are awfully cute and have really grown well for me. Wait till you see the container of them I did! (that's really presumptuous on my part as I haven't seen it either but I just know it will be good!)

"Big Bills Beauty" - Oh Absolutely!!! - endorsed by Dr. Cal Adium! hahahahaha

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG

Something had a feast on my Rosebuds last night! The only thing I can think of around here would be rabbits. The wierd thing is they're only going for the Rosebud variety and leaving the Miss Muffets and Galaxy's alone???? Do you think they need some cayenne pepper with their lunch? hehe.

Thumbnail by KatG
Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

I spray mine with Scott's Insecticidal soap. That seems to keep any insects from munching on the leaves.
I use Shake Away to keep squirrels and other pests away.

I was just sitting in the backyard and I can't believe how fast some coming up. I just planted about 1000 bulbs over the week-end and some already have shoots.
We got about an inch and half of rain last night. As hot as it's been I could swear I heard my caladiums singing...lolol...

Is your back sore Bill? I planted those 200 bulbs and thought I was going to die.

Oh I know...they're just growing like crazy! We also had a torrential downpour the other night - A little too hefty though as it blew out a couple of my poolscreens! Yikes! (shhhhhhh...we need rain...but just a little less stormy please!)

I just can't get over these! You have amazing bulbs Bill!

Thumbnail by KatG
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Bill, Help I've fallen and I can't get up. LOL
Hi Bill, Most of my Caladiums are doing wonderful I have so many I don't know what all I will do with them. But I do have a small problem with some of the bulbs that I overwintered from last year. It's the White Christmas that I started up stairs in my growing room. They got huge and looked great but a few day after moving their pot out side they fell over. They look nice and healthy just not upright. Should I cut off the leaves, will more new leaves grow? I thought maybe because of the way I started them they grew too tall without a strong enough stem? The Flordia Sweetheart that where in the same pot are looking fine but then they didn't grow as fast as the WC did.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Holly,

That's most likely what did it. They'll can get tall and leggy growing indoors. The FL Sweetheart will do the same thing but not as bad.

biLL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Can I cut themoff or do I have to just let them lay there? Will they grow more leaves?

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Do something I haven't done yet, cut them. It can't hurt. The leaves "should" grow back just fine.

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

I started a new caladium bed, 20 ft, in front of our house. Planted 60 local bought bulbs in the thing. Nothing, nothing, nothing, except the squirrels dug up 5. They don't eat them, they just dig them up and leave them there. So I am out every morning, getting down to ground level looking to see if anything, anything is coming up. My neighbors are petitioning to certify me.

So, I bought 25 from Bill and planted those. Only Bill's have just started come up and oh, are they pretty. So, I ordered some more. So I'm planting again in that bed, and then have ideas for about two more beds. Mine still just have their first leaves, so will show pictures later. But the neighbors are now relaxing, now they can see something. :)

Please keep the pictures of yours coming, so I can just sit and dream what mine's going to look like. Thanks, Peg

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm still learning how to use this camera. Hopefully the pictures will get a little better once I know what I'm doing.
Here's Razberry Moon

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Galaxy

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a nice shot

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Another group shot

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)