how to germinate these?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i cant seem to get any to grow after planting. ive tried peat pots and peat pod thingys and just laying them in dirt and no germination.

is it the seeds bad or something.

im looking for tantula and lilac lefleur they noth grow here but cant get the seeds i have to germinate. any advice welcome. and thanks

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

If you soak them, it may help. I just soaked a few Yellow Datura and they germinated in about 2 days... then I throw them in potting soil and thye grow!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I soak all my seeds for about 24 hrs and they sprout within about a week and I throw them right in the ground.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Try the Curse n Stir method .. it really does work!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3270624

X

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

im beginning to believe it

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

datura need warm weather, upper 70ish to germinate and grow. they grow wild where i am. what get my curiosity is... there is no water, no fertilizer, only hot sun and sand, yet they flourish and grow nicely in the wild.

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

I did not know that they liked sand, should I add some to mine? Clem

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

depend on the type of soil u are using Clem. lots of things grow crazy in the sand and full sun, here in the desert including brugs! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/433894/#top

Ma vie, well saw your thread, oh my God goes back to 2004, will read it later, I have family visiting today, I just sneak to the computer to see what was going on. I ordered 4 daturas, 2 purples, 2 yellows, two are in pots doing nicely, part sun/part shade. The ones on the ground full sun, next to a salty canal, well............I'll try to take a pic tomorrow, I do not live there, it's my tenant's house, but I do the gradening and all and is only 20 minutes away from where I live. Clem

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

it has been a while since i had been planting, the very reason why most of thread i created are way back then. i had been sick, hospital is part of my residence. at least i am glad the past year, i have been feeling much better. watch out, i will soon be creating my own threads again.

datura metel; both purple and yellow do great in straight sun. than shade, at least it does for me. i am not familiar with ur area. u are the best judge to ur plants there is nothing written in stone, each person has their own techique in growing. whatever work for u should just be fine. as u will read on that thread, there are a great majority of peoplle who participate in that thread. i share my experiments, knowledge gained from experience here on DG. if u find something worth ur while, take not as u are reading, cuz i know u will use not only what i shared but also others who contributed to that thread.

the thread i posted above maybe old, but i am sure u will pick up lots of pointers here and there.

enjoy ur company. have a pleasant evening.

ma vie

Ma vie, does that mean my life in English? Hope you are feeling a lot better, will read your entire thread promise, DG provides much information an the people that belong to it forget they are wonderfull. Will folllow your smart advise, Love to you too, Clem

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

yes Clem that is what it means. i have been much, much better the past year, compared to nearly 5 yrs of being taken to ER twice a week. i thank God He gave me an extenson.

u can experiment and try if things will work for u. as they say 'different folks, different stroke'. there are many things in consideration: soil, atmospheric pressure, weather, etc., therefore what work for me may not apply to others. although measurements are given, other think an extra measure maybe better... WRONG in some instance, fatal in others. i have done the experiment, try if it will work for u. i am not smart, just given lots of common sense and patience to try what will work.

hugs and kisses,
ma vie

Life experience its all it takes! C

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

I've had Datura seeds in a Parks dome for about 4 weeks and I've got nothing. Should I give up on these or is there something else I can try with them?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i still havent gotten any to geminate and know they are from a good source. dont get it.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

datura seeds need 75 plus degrees F and sunlight to germinate. it grows wild in the wild with no water or fertilizer, yet they are prolific growers in the vast dessert lands.

Ma vie, I think I am going to plant some in an area of the yard that gets little water, just a shot and see what happens! your tips are great! Clemen

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

sorry for late response, i had a mild heart attack over the weekend. i just got home. do not worry i am fine now. there were a crew of Filipino drs and nurses who went out of their way to help me recover.

yes, do try to experiment every manner u so please. that is the only way to learn how plants adopt to ur area. i do that all the time... to learn how to succeed and add more merits to ur planting skill. remember, nothing is written in stone. what work for each individual gardener is their success story.

good luck,
ma vie

Ma Vie, my best wishes that you will recover soon and well!!!!!!POSITIVE THINKING IS ALL IT TAKES LOVE U, CLEM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

hugs and kisses Clem. love u too. do not worry i will be fine with a few days of rest, i will be good as new.

Thank You.
ma vie

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Thanks to you all for helping. I don't know about the stiring but the cursing helped along with some very high temps. I took the whole foam thing with the plugs in it cursed at it and put it outside and in 24 hours I got 1. I know 1 out of 30 a pretty bad % but I'm happy. I'll keep trying with the rest.

MaVie, I hope you're doing well. Thank you for helping I'm sure the temp change made the difference. Get some rest.

I did the curse and all and then planted some new ones, frustrated! Clem

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i planted new ones today just to give myself hope.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i do not know if folks know that datura seeds need light and hot sun to sprout. i know this for a fact, i have seen one too many seeds all over the yard that become seedlings.

i guess the reason why ur stir and curse will work is cuz people tend to bury the seeds deep away from light. datura like other desert flowering seeds need cold treatment, LIGHT and hot sun for the seed to emerge into a new plant. this is also so true with Calif. poppies.

since the weather is now warm, do a test on datura seeds. throw some seed on the ground. water thoroughly, in a few days or even a week, u will have a seedling before u. good luck. let us know ur experiment's result.

thank u for thinking about me. i am doing fine now.

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Thanks again MaVie, I'll take 10 out of the plugs and put them on top of some potting soil. It's warm here now ( in the 80's) with lots of sun.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

it is always a pleasure to share.

Vincentown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hey out there.....I've never tried starting Datura seeds, though I might now that I've picked up a few great pointers. I'm especially drawn to the "curse and stir" method and wondering if "curse and throw" would work any better (just joking), but I did get a laugh out of that post.

Starting from seed has never been my forte in the garden, nor my sister's, yet my mother had no trouble whatsoever. She shared all her garden lore with me; but regarding my problem with seed pkts, all she ever said was, "Just follow the directions, there's nothing to it, believe me!" I still think she was keeping something from me...something critical. I could paper a small room with the seed wrappers of annuals that have never broken ground for me...that's why my specialties are bulbs and perennials. Still, I dream of a garden full of colorful blooms all summer long.

Regarding Datura: I have had great luck rooting them from clippings (again...no seeds involved). I just snip off a 4" to 5"piece, remove most of the lower leaves, moisten tip and dip in rooting hormone. Then pop it into vermiculite, or other soil free starting medium. I started a piece in the fall, just before I stored my Datura in my son's basement for the winter. Then I placed the cutting in a south facing window and it rooted very readily, though I seem to recall it took awhile for new growth to appear.

Anyway, it was fortunate that I'd taken that cutting and here's why: I removed the two white Datura from the basement about April 10th, about the same time I brought out the tuberose Begonias that were just beginning to sprout. That was a mistake with the Daturas! Even though I kept them close to the foundation under the eaves...I think the night temps might have been too cold for them. They were showing new growth that was getting spindly, hence my haste to remove them from the poorly lit basement. All the new growth died back, and I was left with two shriveled looking sticks in pots!

But, take heart, fellow gardeners; I decided to cut back the stalks below the shriveled portion (move than half way), and I put them in full sun after our last frost date here in 6b, which is about 15 May. After a few weeks, they came back from the dead!

I suspect the unusually cold nights here in April just overwhelmed them after they were removed from a basement temp that's probably a constant 55 degrees or so. There were lots of nights in April where the temp dropped down close to freezing. Poor babies, no wonder they suffered! Next year, I'm going to hold off 'til closer to the end of April, or when the threat of temps down in the low 30s has passed before I haul the Datura out of the basement into the light of day once more. Gardening is a constant learning experience, isn't it?

May your flowers always be in bloom...Rose

This message was edited Jun 13, 2008 12:11 PM

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Hi Rose,

If you get a chance please check out my "problem" on the burg forum. I'm having the same problem with a burg as you discribed with your dat. Except I kept it in the basement and didn't bring it out till mid may (I'm zone 6a/b also). I posted a couple of pic's, ask for help, but thought all was lost. After reading your post maybe my burg sill has a chance. I cut it back in the fall according to the tag directions.
I appreciated your info on the cuttings. I've never done much with seeds (other than the easy ones) until this year. With prices on gardening items getting out of hand, I dicided this year to do mostly seeds and try some cuttings. You answered some of the questions I had in your post.
Donna

ma vie, thanks for the info, Idid the course and nothing yet rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i want germination soon! NOW! SOON! Clem

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i dont have them either and cant try to get any more really going right now as i am having severe health issues. right now im tired and moving from one room to the next is just too much

i guess i wont have none this year but hopefully my other plants will keep me company.

Feel better imzadi! If I ever get them to germinate, I'll send you one ok! Clemen

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

thats the word if. i dont know what it is with seeds these especially that make them so hard to get going.

maybe its our weather or humidity or something

Matewan, WV(Zone 6b)

Hey everyone, I know you guys are talking about a different type of seed but I thought I'd ask about these.....someone recently sent me seeds from their Rose of Sharon bush (thank you again - if you see this) and I'm wondering the same thing, do I soak them in water or just plant them straight into the ground and water or into a pot of potting soil and water????

Thanks in advance. Von

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

seed should always be soak, no one know how long they have been harvested. the only exception would be freshly harvested seeds.

small seeds like poppy seeds or onion seeds should be place on damp soil.

seeds like size of datura and pepper seeds should be soaked over night. more time needed if the seeds are old. seeds are ready to be planted when they plump not flat.

thicker seeds i soak in hot water for several night.

on another note, areas in my yard where datura grew, seed are naturally disperse on their own. since i water the area each morning, these seeds have the right media to grow in.

also remember, i live in the desert where all kinds of datura grow wild ... no water, no tlc, NO Fertilizer! they pretty much on their own. personal observation and experiences is what i share here. if u read this, u should on ur own observe and experiment to learn/know what works in ur area. we all do not have the same consideration to consider in growing: land elevation, weather, atmospheric pressure, and type of soil ... all these gives us different growing for each and everyone. what may work for one, may not be work for another. but! do not be dismayed, find ur own niche to be successful in growing great plants.

Mavie, i see you are feeling better, great news, to see you around! Love, Clem

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i am glad to be around Clem. thank you.

hugs and kisses,
ma vie

Your wise advise is always welcome! Clem

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Xera, I am laughing at your curse n stir method! It really does work! LOL!

Well, I am still screaming at them and nothing, maybe is the cool weather, so frustrating! Clem

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you again MaVie. I took them out of the plugs and put them on top of some semi-moist jiffy mix and let them bake in the sun and now I have 8 more. These are the same seeds I started with in May so don't give up. Temps here are in the high 70's low 80's but for the last week the humidity been very low. Did anyone else have any luck?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.