Stinky Rainbarrel

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey. I have several rainbarrels and I put mosquito dunks in them to keep out the mosquito larva.
One barrel in particular had a horrible odor and my daughter convenced me that their must be a dead animal at the bottom. It has no lid, so this is possible. (Just had 3 squirrels die in a small bucket of water, so now we are looking for screened lids.)
Anyway, I dumped 55 gallons of rainwater and no dead animal. I'm glad, but needed that water!
My question is this: What could be making the water smell so terrible?!
There was a very small bit of pine straw (maybe a handful) and some dirt at the bottom, but no algea or anything else. Not only am I wondering what could be causing the odor, how can I fix it? Are there any type of deodorant tabs or odor eaters out there for rainbarrels? With the growning number of people using them, I sure hope so.
Thanks for any help!

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!