Looking for Malitonin or Coyote Squash seeds

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I will be glad to buy some, or trade if anyone here has them or knows where I can find them. I have looked at several seed companies to no avail.
Not sure of the spelling, but these things look similar to an avacado but are light green. They grow on a vine like regular squash.
Malatonins are expensive to buy in the store if you can find them, about $1.00 each. They are so delicious stuffed with sausage or shrimp, etc.
I also posted this on the seed trading and GA Gardening forums. I really would like to try them, of course the squirrels may get them

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Azalea - The chayote squash itself is the seed - my aunt grew tons of them in central FL when I was growing up! I have not had much success myself - I think the place I planted them does not get enough water... I believe you're supposed to plant them on their side. They sell them in our local grocery store, in the produce section - 1 or 2 would be plenty, as I recall, unless you have a big family to feed. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I know there have to be others here that can be! You might try the vegetable gardening forum. Samantha

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I think you mean merliton also known as chayote. Try asking for that. I have not grown them, but all squashes need lots of sun, space and water. Good luck. They are yummy.

Laurel

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I was really guessing about the spelling, thanks for the corrections. I know they have just one flat seed but I didn't think the ones in the store would be mature enough to grow. I have a friend that wants them too, he said his dad used to just toss out some seeds in is garden and they would grow. I will try the Veggie forum!

Be careful about traded squash seed. Various varieties cross readily over a great distance (like a half mile or more). So, the chayote/merliton in the store or from a trade will be normal, but the next generation could well be a cross of something else in the trader's garden or a neighbor's garden. I try to stick to purchased seed when it comes to squash and cukes as they are more likely to cross than other veggies.

Laurel

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I know from experiance if you eat a cuke, from a volantere, like from the compost,oooh!!, It will put hair on the bottom of your feet.Mike

Is that where the hair on the bottom of my feet came from? I thought it was from eating turnips and mustard in July. Oohwee!

Laurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.