Pairing for Niobe

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I have Niobe growing on one side of an Arbor and was thinking of planting a different clematis on the other side. I do have another Niobe growing on a separate trellis right near this arbor. Should I just get a third Niobe for the arbor and have them all be the same color or do you think I should put a different one on the other side? Any suggestions would be appreciated. =)

Delaware, OH

niobe is a beautiful clematis. i grow it on boxwood and keep mine small by pruning near the front of my home.
as my experience is that it is not the most vigorous of clematis even though it is floriferous for it's size, i am suggesting something that will give fabulous foliage and coverage and probably bloom right after niobe ties out. rubro marginata, a very overlooked small flowered (colorful) clematis that is amazing from every angle..foliage, flowers, uniqueness...also fool proof, no wilt or unexpected . rubro should be available from chalk hill or brushwood , maybe others. good luck!
i grow the rubro with villa de lyon and prince charles....very nice combo.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks niobe, that's what I need..something fool proof/easy to grow. Actually, my support is an arch - not an arbor, it is only about a foot wide and the side I would plant this in does not receive bright sunlight all day. Do you think it will still work out? I also think maybe something white might look nice and stand out in that area.

I also have a split rail fence about 2 feet off the road that I think would look nice with some clematis growing on it. I have orange coneflower and deep red daylilies with a yellow flowering ground cover and ornamental grasses in that area. I have deep red Rose Home Run and lavender growing further up in a bed near the house. I'm thinking something in purple would look good there. I would plant them on the back side of the fence posts so I'm not sure the road salt would be an issue- what do you think? Since I'm new to clematis is there anything you suggest for that area? i do appreciate your input.

Delaware, OH

to cover fences you need something vigorous. polish spirit virtacella is very vigorous, not prone to wilt or anyting. it is fool proof. small purple flower, long bloom span. you cn always do sweet autumn.

whate ever you do, layer pieces from the side of the plant to create more plants and coverage.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

The polish spirit looks perfect! Very pretty. I looked up your ville de lyon and prince charles, they both are very, very nice. Oh heck, they're all nice. I guess it's just a matter of chosing the right one for the right spot. Thanks again for your tips. The more I look at my house the more places I'm finding to use them. You will probably see me in more posts. I hope I'm not going to be too much with all my questions!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.