a bit fuzzy... taken though the window

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

between 6 and 6:30 it's like party time in the yard

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the bad part is if i go outside to take these the dogs usually burst through that door... and our friends are gone

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

last one for today

Thumbnail by onewish1
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice, Allison. Thanks! They're always fun to capture.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Nice shots! ☺

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Real nice Allison.

Not many native birds around here. Last bird shot I took was out my truck window.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Those guys get really big. ☺

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wow Al... that's a cool shot... keep that big boy away from my yorkies!

That bird has one heck of a BEAK !

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It was funny to be driving and look up and see one sitting above the road.

Nice.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! What a great bunch of photos! I have a pair of hummingbirds that have claimed my back garden and feeders as their own and chase off any other birds who dare to come near, but it's almost impossible to get a picture of them....

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Love all the bird pictures but especially the Red-Bellied woodpecker and the eagle. I need to have camera in hand to capture the birds here. It's the same with the binoculars, by the time I get them and focus, the critter is gone! I like that the rest of you are quick and good photographers as well.

Sometimes getting a picture fast like a bird, is patience, patience and patience.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Great thread, Allison.
Whoppin' bird, Al! You lucky duck. I have only seen one once in my whole life.

I love watching the migrating birds return each year. I mark the date on the calendar when I first see them. It may not be the exact day that they return, but it's fun to do. My grands are all amazed, and even the teens will rush to me and have me go see a bird that they can't identify to see if I can tell them what it is.

I've been keeping loose records of our birds for about a decade now, so I have a lot of info stored up. I keep thinking that one day, the interest I show in birds will be reborn in one of the grands and they can take the hobby even further than do I.

Thumbnail by Candyce
Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

gorgeous! it wasn't until I became a gardening nut that I began to appreciate birds. thanks for these pictures of yours

It seems that I have always loved watching the birds.
It's been just in the past few years, though, that I have tried to photograph them. And, brother, it ain't easy!! ^_^

patience, patience and patience. Any picture is patience unless your a paparatzii (sp) Britney anyone? :-)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I always loved birds.... the chippys used to eat out of my grandmas hand... she got me hooked on em

love your idea Candyce..... hope it does carry on

I think it's wonderful to see a hummingbird and then later, a great blue heron. Such diversity!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice pictures everyone. Al...beautiful shot!! We have two pairs that live on the lake so I am fortunate to see them. Recently we have had a Golden Eagle visit but he never gets close enough for my zoom lens. May have to go borrow DD's as her's is a little better.

This message was edited May 22, 2008 8:33 PM

We have eagles nest hear the Hudson.

I had the opportunity to see them flying over the water and not far from us when I took a Round Table seminar a few years back. This was at Plum Point near Vail's Gate (Newburgh). They are so majestic! We also saw some in the Catskills on our way to visit our son in Binghamton about a year ago, too.

The eagle has the longest life-span of it's species.

But to reach this age, the eagle must make a hard decision In it's 40's.

It's long and flexible talons can no longer grab prey which serves as food.

It's long and sharp beak becomes bent.

It's old-aged and heavy wings, due to their thick feathers, become
stuck to it's chest and make it difficult to fly.

Then, the eagle is left with only two options: die or go through
a painful process of change which lasts 150 days.

The process requires that the eagle fly to a mountain top and sit on it's nest.

There the eagle knocks it's beak against a rock until it plucks it out.
After plucking it out, the eagle will wait for a new beak to grow back and then it will pluck out it's talons.

When it's new talons grow back, the eagle starts plucking it's old-aged feathers.

And after five months, the eagle takes it's famous flight
of rebirth and lives for 30 more years.

Wow - does it really go through all that?!!

Yep! ☺

Talk about an extreme makeover...

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Great pics! I can't believe I've never seen a bald eagle in person, except at a sanctuary for injured birds.

Can you find the bird in this pic? I snapped the shot just as he was coming in for a landing on my little fountain...seems to attract the birdies.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Yes - just to the left of the fountain. They love moving water.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had no idea it has to go through that process... seems harsh... and I have never seen one in the wild only zoos

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Interesting WC - I never heard that. We have several that nest near here.

I suppose the assumption is the eagle has lived to be 40ish and is healthy enough to undergo the process. Obviously only the fittest would live to be 70. ( I always thought the eagle went to get a manicure like everyone else!) - a bird lover friend sent me the e-mail a couple of months ago along with the 10 pics that go inserted in between the lines. I kept it because I found it so fascinating. - And to remind myself that Nature can be harsh and beautiful at the same time. ☺

I agree. That is harsh ... and beautiful.
Thank you. I never knew what that bird went through.

Wow no wonder why we have an eagle on the dollar bill. It takes a worse punishment being alive then on a piece of paper, which takes brutal abuse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.