What do you think of Veggie Cage supports?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Here is a link to the website http://www.veggiecage.com/catalog_details.cfm. I was considering buying a wholesale lot and reselling them in DG's marketplace so I could get a bunch for myself at wholesale. Has anyone actually seen and/or tried them?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Never heard of them, Cat, and the link does not work.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Victor:

I looked at the link properties, and came up with this:

http:// www.veggiecage.com/catalog _details.cfm

If you copy it to paste, just remove the extra spaces

And remove the word 'HYPERLINK' ... and the extra [ ] things

The product looks interesting, Cat. But I can't see how it works. Does it 'grow' with the plant. Would it work for peonies? I dunno. I'd have to know more about it, and their description doesn't answer those questions for me.

I used a loop ting like that once and wasn't thrilled with it, but don't remember why!

I can't get it opened either way. I have tons of cages, the regular metal ones. Some 3 feet some 4 feet. Of course they all are supported with a grade stake and they are tied with either sheet strips or wire ties to the cage.

Just type it at the top of your browser.

Try the basic link. It Works. I do think they are more eye appealing. Tomatoes I wouldnt care if I used them or not. I do like the looks of the morning glorys and how the snow peas grew into and around it.

www.veggiecage.com

This message was edited May 22, 2008 7:59 AM

The minimum buy for wholesale is 60. I haven't seen them in person. I think that I will order 3 as a sample to see if I think they are sturdy enough. Someone else is doing about the same thing with heavy wire but they only go up to 3'. I saw those at a Flower show and they were great - especially for peonies if they weren't opened all the way up.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I tried three last year. It is true they do look better than wire cages (if you use a good looking stake to hang them on). However you must extend them to full height right away--don't try "growing" them as the plant grows--since only the top part of the plant grows, the lower branches stay where they are. As the plants became heavy, the coils of the veggie cage sagged, so I would recommend adding tying one or two of the coils to the center post for support. All in all, they were better than a single tomato stake, but fussier to use than my remesh fence. I'd give them a B grade.

You can find dozens of distributors, including Heirloom seeds and Territorial seeds, by googling "veggie cage" which sell the cages for $8 or so.

Don - If I could offer them for $6.25 - do you think that they are worth that? Can we see a picture of your remesh fence?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Eleanor, here's a picture of the tomato fence taken on a very cloudy day. Please ignore the Marigolds. They were a mistake, and eventually I ripped them out. Unfortunately I only took a picture of the veggie cages when I first put them in, not when the plants were big.
You might pick up a few takers at that price. Remember you also have to provide a 6-foot stake.

This message was edited May 24, 2008 7:19 AM

Thumbnail by DonShirer
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Nice Marigolds, Don.

:-)

A heavy duty tomato fence there too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's real nice Don.... I like that

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.