Asparagus fern, should I cut it back?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I am still picking asparagus, but slowing down, I also have some pencil sized asparagus that i'm not picking this year , it s ferning out, now the big asparagus is slowing down growing, should I cut the ferns back till I'm done picking , then let it all fern out at once?

kathy

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Mine is doing about the same thing. I think you are supposed to let it go ahead and feather out if it gets that far. Seems like I thought it was supposed to stay that way until the fall when it gets cold and you cut down the ferns then ? Makes strength for the next years' crop ?
I'm far from an expert, so maybe some of the more experienced asparagus folks will help us here.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

That's what I do. Any stalks I don't cut to eat are left to grow until they die back in fall.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

And keep tending them. Water, compost, etc. All season. Cut down or burn the completely dead ferns in fall or winter. Asparagus is often ignored after harvest- but if you keep treating them well afterwards, and boost their root systems, you will be rewarded next spring with a better crop!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, the growing season is when they need to be fed.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

My ferns are getting out of control. They are over 6' tall, leaning over other crops.............and covered with seeds. Is it ok to trim them just a little when they start taking over ? They didn't do this last year. Evidently they just had a major growth-spurt. They are acting like a big clumsey teen ager. Slouched all over the place. lol.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I stake them up. A couple of tall poles at the ends of the row and a couple of loops of twine to hold them.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Ah, I hadn't thought of tying them up. Great idea ! Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.