Endless Summer; I take it back

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't believe it. After 3 seasons of limp, wilting, refusing to die but looking like their circling the drain my Endless Summers are covered with flower buds. Even the Lady in Red has blooms. Well I never! Guess it proves where there's life there's hope.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Amen - Lots of buds here too. The Lady In Red has buds. We won't see blooms here for about three weeks to a month. It's been cold.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

snapple45 - Do you protect your Lady In Red? My neighbor planted one and it died on her. I love that one but decided not to plant it after her unfortunate experience.

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Nope. I've never had any problems with it, it just never bloomed until this year.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I've only had mine since Augut 07 and yes I did protect it with a wire cage stuffed with oak leaves.

Oak Forest, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Gang -

Snapple45's comment about the wire cage and leaves made me wonder....

Last summer was my first attempt at growing a hydrangea in my yard. It's was an endless summer which I loved so much I bought another one this year.

Last year, when the fall ended, I cut the hydrangea down like I did with my peony and hostas, etc... Was that the right thing to do? It's coming back like a champ, but it's been overa month now and it's still so small?

With two plants now, I want to get it right.
Thanks for any help you can offer. I love gardening, but I don't know enough yet.

This message was edited May 22, 2008 11:20 AM

This message was edited May 22, 2008 11:21 AM

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

It depends on the type of hydrangea. Cutting any of them back is not a good idea though. Those that bloom on new wood won't be affected. If it was the kind that blooms on old wood then cutting them back takes away any flower producing wood. In zone 5 those that bloom on old wood definitely need winter and late spring frost protection. While the plant will comes back from the ground, such as yours is, the blooms are gone. Post what type you have.

Oak Forest, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks snapple45.

It's a Mophead Endless Summer.

It's nice and green and looks like it really wants another chance :) but it's really stout.
It isn't growing back at the rate I expected and now it makes me wonder.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

They take a couple of years to establish. Some as long as three or four. ES will bloom on new wood. You have hope of blooms this year on the new wood beginning now. Take care of its water and fertilizer needs and you should do fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.