okay I'll stop whining now!!!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I know I'v been whining for ever about my back yard BUT it's all in now 24 yards of soil smoothed out big bed around well pipe 1/2 planted and grass seed down I'm SOOOOO excited I can hardly stand it LOL every one thinks I'm just a little strange to be so excited over dirt but what do they know LOL
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Were you happy with the quality of the dirt that was delivered? Enjoy playing in the dirt.

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

very , its a mix of black dirt ,sand and a little clay looks and feels great and I put compost in the flower bed so I belive its going to be good
I alway love playing in the dirt but boy am I stiff this morning LOL
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i luv DIRT! CONGRATS!!!
Id luv to have a area of just tilled dirt-im weird
I luv how it looks and smells and...........!

Lake, MI

I am happy for you Gloria. How nice a new bed to fill

You are not weird about loving the dirt. I moved into my new home last year and there at least two and a half yards pile of topsoil. It was so compacted that it takes a pitch fork to loosen it up to use. So a nice fresh pile of dirt sound fantastic to me.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks guys I'm glade I'm not alone but I do love freshly tilled dirt I love the look the fell the smell okay okay I have to breath now as soon as the grass comes up I want to put in 2 more beds this summer LOL
Gloria

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori....Its SOIL.... remember..... rofl

deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my mom never told me not to play in the soil or not to get soily she said stay out of the dirt and dont get DIRTY!!!!!! LOL

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Dirt -Soil who cares if it is nice, black, loamy, and sweet it gives me a good feeling.
So Ya'll enjoy your dirt,soil or compost it's a great week for gardening!!!
Hey my Michigan sisters anybody got annuals out yet???
I am thinking to do so this week end? What do you think??
Julie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

DO IT~

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I just checked Accuweather's next 15 day forecast and all nighttime temperatures are consistently in the upper 40's and low 50's through June 2nd...........with the exception of this Friday night when it is predicted to be 38 degrees. That is for my zip of 48703 so your zip may vary.

The only annuals I have out now can take the cold temps...........marigolds, verbennea etc. I am planning to put the rest of my annuals and my vegetables in on Saturday.

At Walmart today their annuals had been hit with frost and looked terrible. It's been just too darn cold and too many late frosts to get anything tender in early this year.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well I don't have a day off till Tuesday so thats when mine will go in I have a hard time with SOIL too Dori I LOVE TO PLAY IN THE DIRT LOL
have a safe fun week end
Gloria

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok you guys........regarding the SOIL VS DIRT issure.....that is just a private joke between Dori and me.....just thought I would clear that up.....

Brenda......If your talking of the Walmart over in Tawas.....those people do not know how to care for plants....they use and abuse them and it breaks my heart that they just don't give a darn. I myself think putting those plants out in that parking lot where they are, are just getting wind whipped from the heavy winds coming off Lake Huron/Tawas Bay.... Just an opinion....thanks for the long rang weather report, I am guessing it will probably be the same for where I am too......

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes Deann, it was the Tawas Walmart. It was obviously frost damage though. You can tell. I agree they need someone in there that knows how to care for the plants. A lot of them needed a drink really bad. With the wind so strong the soil dries out really fast and they get whipped around but the tops of them were burned from frost. They should mark them down to a buck a flat or something and maybe someone could cut them back and get them to grow again. I remember years ago I had a few flats of red begonias get frost damage and I cut them all back and planted them and they grew well but it took them a bit of time to recover.

Last night it got down to 36 at my house. I know because I woke up in the middle of the night to tinkle and looked at the temperature on the ceiling in the bedroom. I couldn't believe it. The sensor is right up next to my house on the deck too so it's probably a degree colder out in the field. I sure hope we don't get any more nighttime thirty degree weather after I put my tomatoes in on Saturday. Even though I put my zip code into that Accuweather website I wonder if I'm really getting AuGres weather or somewhere else. We're such a small town we just don't have our own weather station I guess.

It is supposed to warm up on Sunday so hopefully that will be the end of it.

I did buy a flat of red verbennea at Walmart and pinched off the blooms and plan to put them in my containers. I think I have too many containers. :) I am starting to hang birdhouses where I had hanging baskets. Cheaper in the long run and you don't have to water them and they look cute. :) Oh, I did buy two nice hanging baskets at Walmart for $10 that were inside their nursery area. one was a red verbennea and the other was a geranium that looked good. That's enough to pay for a hanging basket and I can bring the geranium in for winter enjoyment. I may even try to overwinter the verbennea since it is a perennial in warmer climates. Can't hurt to try. I just wish I had more room in this house to put plants.

Come see me Deann if you are over my way. It's been too long.

Brenda

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Dori, Brenda, Gloria, Vickie, Deann, Amos, Stacey, Connie, Loretta, Have a great Memorial Day!! I won't be barbecuing but I will be planting. I just got 52' more feet of screen put up in my yard along the lot line ( sort of like a fence) but 10' tall so I could put out all my new clematis!! And I liked it so much I am having the carpenter make me 3 more screens for the other side of the yard!! I may feel a little closed in .. I do wonder about that but I need vertical places for my new clematis!! So I imagine I'll be doing lots of yard work! No time for play this week end.
How about the rest of you??
What are all of your plans? Any body going boating, sailing, hiking, fishing, .....etc???
Have a great week end!! I always feel this week end starts my summer!!
Julie

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll be working but the little mister is going to buy a pontoon so may be when I get home I can go for a relaxing boat ride that would be nice then I have to plant my geraniums to hang on the deck water the new grass and then work on Sunday and Monday so tuesday I'll go get my plants to put in pots sure hope theres some left LOl
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey everyone!! I do have some annuals out already.... The weather has been pretty nice around here and a very nice saturday coming up... I have the day off and am going to enjoy being home for once.... Weve been busy with my daughters upcoming wedding (not until 09-09). But we got her a georgeouse dress on thursday.... She is so excited. Its really nice having quit awhile to work on the plans... I know it will be here soon enough... Have a great weekend!! We have decided to go camping next week cant wait!!! Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Good for you Ronna we are going to go to Fletchers pond camping the end of June can't wait for that I realy need some down time Have a good week end
Gloria

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone,

I bought 10 flats of begonia's today along with all my container flowers, geraniums,petunia's, coleus, and so much more...The boys,dad and grampa
are going fishing YAY!! (peace) and I'm planting all day till my hearts content
or my aching bones can't take it anymore ;o) LOL

Have a wonderful weekend!!
Delane

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

WOW! You all are having a holiday close to home..That is nice.
Sounds like everyone has some planting in the plans!
I have a big city parade that comes in front of my house! I grab my coffee and head over to my balcony and watch our great Service men and women march in the parade. I have to get all my flags out for the parade!!
I put flags everywhere!!
See You all !!
Julie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We are planting the vegetable garden today. We've already had in the cool crops for a few weeks now. Today the tomatoes, peppers, squash, yellow and green zuchinni, green beans, cukes etc. go in. I still have some annuals to put in containers and I would like to sow some cosmos seeds. That's it. I'll be done. The work then will be to keep it all watered. WE NEED RAIN. We'll drag out our hundreds of feet of hose and install it to the veggie garden and leave it in place. I sure hope we don't have a dry summer. I hate watering and we have so much stuff that needs it like all those fruit trees we just put in. They're all doing well and have leafed out and the deer have been good little deer and haven't eaten them yet. I keep everything sprayed with Liquid Fence though. The new roses we put in are awesome and loaded with blooms. They seem to have taken the transplant shock well.

The granddaughter will be over this afternoon and we plan to play with her the rest of the weekend. We have a big pontoon boat we plan to take out tomorrow if the lake isn't too rough. We'll cook out and have friends coming over.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

just came home from our first pontoon ride on our new ( not new) pontoon and the kids are comming Monday I'll go get my plants on Tuesday (my day off) loon your garden sounds awsome I hope it rains for you but not this weekend I need rain also it can rain wednesday thuesday and friday will that be good lol
Gloria

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda.............Mark your calender.....next Thursday Glen's is having their annual flower sale.....Flats are 6.99 and that is for annuals, and veggie's....thier hanging baskets which are 10 inch are 6.99 and their perennial's are in those square 4.5" pots are 2.50 each......they open at 6:am.......I will be there with bells to get more bedding plants....

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

okay why do you girls UP NORTH all ways have the good sales and all ways on my day to work LOL
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i made 80/00 this weekend selling plant-------my mators are the best =starting to blossom,,,people were impressed~

we went to a party last night with friednds :)
Today i did alot of tilling and redoing--im luvin the new gardens! (((((COME SEE)))))

ENJOY THE REST OF THE WEEKEND~~~~summer is on the way

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Deann for the reminder about Glens' sale. I forgot about that. I am not planning on buying any more annuals this year. I'm downsizing how much I buy. I think I bought four flats and four hanging baskets and that's it for me. I have too many contianers I think. I can't seem to part with any of them. :) I just have a few containers left to plant and I'm done. Now to keep everybody watered. I hope we get some rain tomorrow.

Dori, good job on your plant sale. I sure hope you're right that summer is on the way. It got down to 36 here last night and I about had a cow watching the temperature and praying it wouldn't go any lower. I turned the hose on my veggie garden at six a.m. but everything is OK. I sure hope we don't get some kind of surprise June frost. I thought we were safe but who knows.

We went to the Memorial Day Parade here in Au Gres today. My son was driving the fire engine and my little granddaughter who is almost two got to ride in the truck with her daddy. What a treat for her. She got so excited to see me and Vern in the crowd and waved and yelled out at us when they went by. Here is a pic.

Brenda

Thumbnail by Loon
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda how cute !!!

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Handsome family there Brenda!! Your son must get his good looks from his MOM I assume??
Hey Dori glad to see you are selling!! I am awash in plants!! I have so many to in the ground I can not even see straight! Well gotta go outside before it rains here again. Nice to see and hear you are all planting and enjoying another spring.
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.