propagation question

Elsberry, MO(Zone 5a)

Although I have grown natives for more than 20 years, I don't usually do any propagation. I bought 3 Glandularia canadensis plants that were very happy. Unfortunately, several long pieces broke off. I put them in water to see what they would do, and new roots are appearing. Now what? How do I know when to plop them in the garden? Do I put them into a pot for a while first?

Thanks!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I would pot it first to give it a good chance to get established.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Is that Rose vervain? That stuff is georgious and is all over the place here, I have successfully transplanted it and now it's all over my place. but it willted severely, and I thought I lost it .

Elsberry, MO(Zone 5a)

I know it as Rose Verbena, but yes, I think that is another name for it. Kind of an odd thing; sometimes great gardeners will have had no luck at all with this plant, yet others with similar conditions say its the best native ever. My guess is that there is a lot of natural diversity in the species and some are just way more hardy than others. I'm going to give it a try again! That little root is now six inches long, so I'll pot it up for a bit then plant it with its friends

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Yeah, It's all over the place around here, side of the roads, It's so pretty and so fragrant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.