DAILY PICS VOL. 110

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Never seen a Stellar's Jay - pretty cool.

Not a wild bird by any means.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Marlton, NJ

He is stunning! Great pic Al!

Klamath River, CA

Spotted Towhee

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Al, he'd make an outstanding desktop photo. You need to enter him in the photo contest. He's absolutely breathtaking! I think he knows it too! HAHAHA

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
I have seen a pic; can't remember who posted it.

2ndCousinDave posted one a couple of months ago.

Marlton, NJ

I knew it was one of the big boys. ^_^

ha. the big boys.

I've been trying to find the post, to no avail! Maybe Dave will chime in here soon.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Took me a while because I was enjoying reading through some of Dave's older threads I hadn't seen, but I found the photo you all were looking for. Here's the post. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4615174

Good Golly Dave! You've shown me things about woodpeckers in that thread I never would have known. I'll have to watch my own now to see if their tongues are that long.

Janet

HA! The tongue thread. I love that one. I thought for sure it was in a daily thread. Must be why I missed it. Thanks Janet!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Well poor Dave.... I overtaxed my brain looking for posts by 2"n"dCousinDave. In my mind, he'll always be "TOODCousinDave" now! I had to go back and find one of his posts to realize that there is no N next to the 2. :-)

ha. perhaps THAT was my problem. sheesh.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Beautiful peacock Al!

An Eastern Towhee from yesterday. A bit under the weather today...had to go get antibiotics this morning. I feel icky!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

I finally got on the lake this afternoon.
Mallard

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mute Swan

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Canada Goose

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Great pictures everyone. Pelle, your Blue Jay is sooooo funny. Love it!

Update on the Meow Mix feeder -- something (perhaps one of our resident raccoons) made off with the entire feeder. I put it up in the afternoon and it was gone the next morning. I hung it in the maple tree and whatever took it ripped it right off of the bungee cord I used to attach it to the branch. I searched some of the brush, but could not locate it.

In the meantime, the woodpeckers and blue jays are still eating out of the cat dish.

GG

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

So cute! :) GM

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Another

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Two

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

The last. GM

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Melbourne, FL

Thanks for finding that Cowbird pic Janet...I missed that one completely.

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics GM!!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great photos GM!

Nadaprob Gardenpom. Was happy to help.

This is one of the mockingbirds that attends a nest not far from my bedroom window. It's up higher in a shrub, so I can't see what's happening in there. But I see this bird in and out of that shrub and I peeked a bit the other day while I was emptying the lawnmower bag.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That's the shrub in front of the bird. I can't tell if that's the Mom or the Dad.

Here's a pretty Blue Jay I saw in that same tree the mocking bird was sitting on. I don't see him very often in the front yard. He usually looks around out back to see if I've put out any peanuts. He's an oinker when it comes to those peanuts in the shells. :-)

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Brainerd, MN

Is this a female rose breasted grosbeak? A friend took the shot and wanted to know - egg pics next.

Thumbnail by original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

eggs

Thumbnail by original_sybil
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This thread has some great pics but it is time to start a new one!

Nanny... I hope you are feeling better.

Sybil...That looks like a House Finch to me but I am still a newbie!

Here is the new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/852808/ .

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, House Finch

Resin

Brainerd, MN

Thanks

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Today, while my friend and I were working on a planting area, we checked one of the Blue Bird boxes we put up this year. These nest boxes were built to the exact specifications of the Audubon Society.

Inside the box was a Tree Swallow. It was sitting on the bottom of the box and at first, I thought it was dead. I reached in and picked it up. It was very much alive, and appeared uninjured. My friend suggested that perhaps it had flown into the box for some reason and could not get out. I put it down on top of the nest box and it flew happily away.

Has this happened to any of you folks? The walls of the box are rough lumber to permit a bird to climb up and out if necessary. Can anyone shed any light on why this happened. I stuffed the entrance holes on all of the boxes with dead grass so no other birds are trapped inside. I have not seen any Blue Birds here at all this season, so no problem there.

GG

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd guess it was checking out the box as a potential nest site? Swallows can be very docile and unafraid of people, and would use boxes about the same size as bluebirds do.

Resin

PS We're onto Photos Thread #111 now: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/852808/

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Wonderful photos. Sybil, love that egg shot.

I was sitting on the patio and heard a loud chrrr behind me. Found this guy. He's making a lot of noise, but I haven't seen a parent come to him. I think he's in a pretty safe place. I don't know where he came from. There's a house sparrow nest not too far from his location. Any idea what he is going to grow up to be?

Oops, missed the link to volumn 111. I'll repost in the proper place!

This message was edited May 26, 2008 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.