What should I buy?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay - guilt works! DH and I created four new gardens in the terrace and I planted practically (say 99%) of all the plants myself.

The neighbours LOVE it - but they also feel a bit guilty. So far, I have collect $200 without even trying! People just came up and gave me money!

So - knowing that I want to get the most bang for the buck (I am thinking of ordering stuff from Bluestone when they are their sale at the beginning of June)

What things do you think I should order. I am specifically looking at shrubs and perennials.

Biggest problem is the North Garden which I want to be primarily white and dark blue but is mostly shade. Would a white hydrangea work here? What else would you suggest?

The East Garden has a light blue butterfly bush. What about hydrangea? Any particular ones you recommend? What about azaleas or rhododendruns (sp?) What about peonies?

The South Garden is all oranges, yellows, and blues - any ideas?

The West Garden has a "Wine and Roses" weigelia (sp?) any other suggestions?

Watering is not a problem as I can use a hose and sprinkler.

I am open to suggestions. ^_^

Thanks, Michaela (aka Seandor - SEE an door)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

What kind of space do you have? 'White Dome' hydrangea should work on the north, but it gets about 5 or so feet high and a bit less wide. What is there now? Pulmonaria is a great blue for spring, but it's low. Are you looking for more blue for the East? Is the soil acidic? In general, great small, multi-season shrubs include fothergilla, itea, enkianthus and clethra. Hardy geranium is great for part shade.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Bluestone is having a "specials "sale now but choices are limited.
I didn't know about th June sale I'll look for it.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Glad to hear things are going well for your terrace project. Gaillardia for many different orange, yellow and red colors, several varieties of different heights you could try. Monkshood for a tall dark blue in the shade and I second the perennial geraniums like 'Rozanne' for that spot too. A close relative to 'Endless Summer' hydrangea 'Blushing Bride' made it through the winter here and has white to light blue flowers. Don't forget the daylilies that come in all colors and bloom at different times throughout the season and are tough as nails, the shorter delphs that don't need staking for blues, pinks and whites and purple in sun. Heuchera for the edges, they can take shade,part shade and full sun depending on the cultivar and they come in reds, lime green, orange and purple leaves. Good luck with this project, I will be very interested to hear of your progress and how it evolves.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

And I can't wait to see photos!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

check out the different sedum - I have a couple that have blue foliage with pine blooms in the fall. EIther wayside or white farm magazines advertise them so you can figure out what to order. If fact if you have the catalogs spend a few minutes and look at them for other ideas.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Michaela, did you check out the blustone sale this weekend? They have a great advanced search.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I just finished ordering over $200 worth of stuff on the Bluestone 50% sale. Many of these plants will go to the north garden (I checked that they were shade tolerant).

Thanks for your ideas . . . I did order some hardy geranium, some white daylilies, and some campanula and perennial lobelia (amongst other things)

Pictures are coming as soon as I have something worthy of a photo ^_^

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am ahead of you by $13.00 and can't believe my great luck. Definatly have a note in Garden notes file to look for the sale next year. There is also a 50% off sale at Bren and Beckys Bulbs.It ends June2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.