Doing the happy dance!!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Della is sending me my new Lionheart today.... Dancing, dancing...it should be here by Wednesday!

Who has this cultivar??

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Be sure to show us pictures of it when you get it. Wish I had ordered one of those with my shipment.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The Lionheart is a very nice cultivar ...it's suppose to be upright but I would consider it semi upright ... It seems to be more leaf branched than leaf "hairy" as other red and green dissectums are... some might think of it as a bit sparce I though like it's visable branching and non cousin it type look ...It is a very nice cultivar. David

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks David...I'll share pictures when it gets here.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Do that happy dance as long as you can! Then you can do a happier dance when you get it. Life is sweet! Saw a wonderful photo of it on the net. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it.

Walhalla, SC

I have a small one and it does hold itself up a bit better than others, but still not like seiryu. It seems to have slightly different leaves than many of my other dissectums. Some of the more vigorous growth looks like this, while the older growth is a bit more typical.

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, thanks for sharing that picture. It does have interesting leaves. I can hardly wait!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

shishigashira 'Lion's Head' pictured. What are the differences, if any, between 'lion heart', 'lion mane' and 'lion head' ? It/they, is/are beautiful by any/all names.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

If I knew...I would answer you...it is red, I know that!

For more info, you'll have to wait for the JM Gurus. ^_^

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

It came!!! :o)

Here is a not very good picture of the side of it. I took 3 but the sun was shining and the other two were duds.

It was packaged AWESOME!

Della, you rock!

Thumbnail by joycet
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Congratulations! It's a very pretty tree and a nice size too. Enjoy! Guess this one stays in a pot until you decide where you are going to live?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The two are completely differnt cultivars one is a dissectum ..Lion Heart ( no Japanese name to my knowledge I would guess it came from here or another non Japanese country) the other Shishigashira is a crinkly leaf Palmatum (actually Shishi is lion but it seems Kashira is head NOT gashira and nowhere have I ever seen it spelled that way with a K...but it is possibly screwed up somewhere way back when) itis translated "loosly" as Lions mane or Lion head)....A dwarf "relative " of the Lions Mane is the Ojishi and there are several others with similar crinkly leaves but none with any where near as close nit leaves giving it the actual lions mane or lion head look as either the Ojishi or Shishigashira to my knowldge David

This message was edited May 21, 2008 6:19 PM

This message was edited May 21, 2008 10:02 PM

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

My apologies Joycet, I mistakenly thought the reference was to the shishigashira with the crinkly leaves and dark green color. Those are mighty pretty trees you have there.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Balvenie.

The Crimson Queen has a little story to it. I transplanted it from the house next door, (where we are moving back to) and planted it there in front of the house. Then a little later, we decided to add on that porch. Well, as hubby was working, the ladder he had, fell backward (he wasn't on it) and it took the top two feet off that tree. I WAS SICK! So there it was with this trunk just sticking out. He was so apologetic... well, we decided to leave it and see what would happen and now...it's our favorite tree.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

You would never know it. It certainly healed itself well. If you are moving back next door will the Maples go with you ? The porch looks like a good place to sit and rock.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

It's the best!

Most of the maples will go with me, but not that one I'm afraid. It's much to old to make the move now. I have 14 and I will be leaving 4 maybe 5.

Gaithersburg, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow. I love that close-up shot of the Lion Heart foliage. It makes me want to chase one down.

Unfortunately, one more order this year would probably lead to divorce....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Uh Oh...I'm thinking snuggling up to a JM just wouldn't do it....

Gaithersburg, MD(Zone 6b)

Splinters.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.