Favorite Fern Picture (Part 2)

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

There has been such a great response to this thread, and appears to be like the 'Ever ready Bunny' it just keeps going...It was getting a little long, so I decided to start, Part 2

This is Dryopteris sieboldii It is a struggle for me in Z5. It comes up very late here-mid to late June and I only ever get 1-2 fronds.

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I just planted one of those this year. Sure hope it does better in Zone 6!

Doug

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I should think it should do better, but an early riser it's not, this far north.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for starting a new thread, Shadyfolks!
Hoping I'll have more pics to show soon.
Deb

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

We had a store few years back and there was a stand for the coke bottles, store is closed and stand is for my plants. Here that photo again.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

My son infront of stand

Thumbnail by gumlla
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Gumlla-
Your son is so cute! How old is he, Is he a gardener in training?
I love your clay pots.

Thank you , he is four and half. Love gardening and always trying to water the plants and when his cloths become wet her mother screaming ........................LOL
Here you can see my son and daughter

Thumbnail by gumlla

Thank you , he is four and half. Love gardening and always trying to water the plants and when his cloths become wet his mother screaming ........on both of us................LOL
Here you can see my son and daughter

Thumbnail by gumlla
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very sweet. Have you told your wife that children NEED to be wet sometimes? Especially in the garden! A hose is a wonderful toy.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

One of my tree ferns! I saw how they trimmed the trunk so neatly at the Chelsea flower show..wish I knew how to do that!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful established tree fern rob. Do you know how old it is?

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

rob,
Love your tree fern, only in my dreams can I have one.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I have no idea how old it is...what what you guys "guesstimate" ? I have many in my garden, they were already there when I moved in... One looked almost dead and a landscape architect who visited my DH had the guts to tell me "oh, just take it out, I don't thing you can nurse it back to life". HE WAS WROOONG! lol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have no idea but I would guess more than 10 years old, maybe 20.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow! Pretty cool.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

That tree fern is wonderful! I enjoy seeing pics of your exotic plants, gumlla. Your children are adorable, too.

Here are Ghost ferns taken today...sorry I can never remember the botanical names of ferns for some reason! These are so pretty in dappled shade when the light hits them.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Noeaster,
What a peaceful spot! I too, like the Ghost fern, justs now I went to look up its botanical name Athyrium 'Ghost' and I guess I forgot that --‘Ghost’ is a deciduous hybrid fern (Athyrium niponicum var. pictum and Athyrium filix-femina)....That's probably why it's such a neat fern. I have a couple myself and years ago I had them planted in deep shade and almost killed them. I moved them just before total death consumed them and they came back and are thriving now with a bit more light. I was amazed that they were able to come back when they were so far gone.

I like your trough and how deep it is.
Is that a little fountain in the back?

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My favorite fern is the one that finally came back for me. I haven't had much luck with ferns making it through the winter in containers, but this one surprised me. It's a Cystopteris bulbifera -- bulb or bladder fern. I bought it because the description said it could grown under many difficult circumstances. It also migrated to a pot with Blue Mouse Ears hosta in it!

Thumbnail by revclaus
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It would be really pretty with the blue mouse ears.

Perhaps Ghost would work here. I have a hard time growing most of the Athyrium but Athyrium filix-femina grows well here. I didn't realize that Ghost was a hybrid.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I love my Japanese painted ferns. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is another and I just planted 6 more.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Japanese Painted Ferns are sure nice and bright. They light up the garden.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Love those ghost ferns. Just saw some at a nursery this weekend but they wanted 19.99 for a small, ragged little thing. They had lots of them so I will watch for a better bargin.

That is a pretty little fern, Revclaus. They certainly go hand in hand with hosta, don't they?

Gotta love those Japanese Painted ferns...love your moss, too Bev. Ferns and moss also go hand in hand!

Doss, you should give the ghost ferns a shot, and I hope you have better luck with them. They just really shine. Here is another one with Asarum Canadense..I like these together.

Shady, yes, that is a fountain I made out of hypertufa in the form of a little millstone. I put all my mini hosta in hypertufa pots because it seems to keep the slugs off them. I have some huge hypertufa pots I made this Spring which I'm still trying to figure out what to put in them. I might have gone a little overboard with the 'tufa.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Noreaster,
that's another pretty picture. My husband would say--can you ever have too many troughs?

How neat that you have ferns in pots!

Noreaster
Beautiful fern photo, what is that plant which have big leaves?
Kaleem

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Noreaster, I just love all your pots and ferns. Absolutely beautiful!

gumlla, do you mean the Canadian Ginger? They aren't very big, the ferns are just small! ;)

Thanks, Lin!

Here is sedum ternatum with Lady in Red ferns up front and a little Maidenhair tucked in a rock niche I have. You have to love that sedum can grown in almost a total lack of soil!

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Fabulous setting. So natural looking.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Neat rock, do you know what kind?

No, I have no idea what kind of rock it is...I just call it "ledge", which is in pretty much everyone's yard around here. Our big piece of ledge forms the backdrop to one of my beds, and ferns look especially good in front of it. Here are the Lady in Red ferns. I'll have to ask my father in law if he knows what our rocks are.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Hosta Love Pat nestled between Maidenhair and Japanese Painted ferns on the other half of the bed.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very lovely Noreaster. That brunnera was a very good choice for the center of that planting. You can't even tell that you took out the hosta. And I love the blue hosta with the silver ferns. Nice combination!

I am so jealous. You have the perfect setting. Very, very pretty.

Don't be jealous, staceysmom- our yard has some nice built in natural features, but it's really pretty small. I'm totally out of room to do anything more at this point. All I can add is annuals, which depresses me. I always see new plants that I have to have, but then I have to remind myself that I can't have them, unless I want to get rid of other things.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Northern Maidenhair growing wild in Red River Gorge. Pic taken week before Memorial Day on a camping/hiking trip. More to follow.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by postmandug

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.