ID of Intergeneric orchid...

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok....so I saw it at Lowe's and fell in love...the only thing on the tag sas intergenerics orchid...But I have no idea what it likes...I have it sitting next to my Moth Orchid figuring the lighting would be close enough...but not sure on watering....And the tag said to repot it, should I do so now even though it is in bloom or wait?? There are 11 blooms on one spike!!! Please help!!! I'm going to insert a picture on this of the close up of the bloom but I'm also going to add a picture afterwards of the folliage and the roots so far...any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thumbnail by kristenrice
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Forgive the lighting these are just quick snaps...Here are the roots coming out of the post and the foliage...

Thumbnail by kristenrice
Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

One of the spider orchids - maybe a brassia or miltassia? There are so many intergenerics!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

When did you acquire this orchid? I have several rescues from Lowes and am not far from you. Maybe I can go hunting through my stock for a tag that might look familiar? I'm thinking Mamasita is on the right track.

Laurel

Good luck with the ID. Laurel is great with orchids!

No, Lynn, just good at reading bogus tags (lol).

Laurel

Then we're all experts if that's all it takes! Ha, ha! - Lynn

P.S. - How ya doing, Laurel?

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

kristenrice, your orchid might be Brassidium Shooting Star. It is a beauty and will require more light than your Phalaenopsis to rebloom on new growth.

Ken

I am just learning about intergenerics. I have Miltassia 'Shelob Webmaster' which looks similar. However, the foliage looks more like Brassidium as Ken said.

Lynn, the house is going to take time. I expect a work crew to be keeping me company in the garden this summer. Bummer.

Laurel

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

wow! Thanks for all the replies...I just bought it yesterday if that helps...And as for reblooming I haven't had much luck with my other orchid on reblooming so I actually have a local nursery that offers what they call Orchid Spa. They take care of it for you until it will bloom again offering it it's perfect atmosphere :) And since I'm just newly a extra tiny green thumb I really don't want to waste the money (what precious little I have :) ) with these guys...given this most recent one was only 20 but my husband got me my Phalaenopsis and he lost 60 on it!!! So I figure it is worth the whopping 1.50 a month to have them in their perfect little home :):) That and with another baby on the way I'm afraid my gardening and plant time is going to decrease!! I'll check out the names you all gave me..It is sitting in an east window right now...would a south window be better if it has a sheer curtain so it isn't direct sunlight?? Just wondered...Thanks again...and I'll do some more research! :)

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I do believe I have tracked it down...at least the name...still can't find much in the way of care...I did find that it likes around 2000-3000 ft candles of light... but no idea how much water...Any ideas???

Brassidium Shooting Star 'Mustard' I do believe...

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Brass I do believe! I have one as well. Shooting star "Black gold"

GREAT orchids!

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Seminole, FL

This looks like a Brassia to me also. Just treat it like you would a Cattleya and you should do fine with it.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I have no idea how people can ID orchids except in the most general sense. Here is my currently blooming Oncideum Miltassia shelob 'Webmaster'. Sure looks like yours to me.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

on second thought - no it doesn't :-)

Here's the whole plant

This message was edited May 27, 2008 11:08 PM

Thumbnail by fredrump
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's two pics of same orchid. Closest description I've come to is Shooting Star 'Mustard' a Brassia hybrid.

Thumbnail by KimchiMonger
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Pic 2 of same orchid.

Thumbnail by KimchiMonger
north coast nsw, Australia

Brassia is one type of orchid('rex' probly the most common)and a Miltonia is another type of orchid, a Miltassia is a cross of them like freds miltassia you can see the star shape from the brassia and the colour from the miltonia. Then theres Oncidiums and there more of them than the others but there all part of the Oncidinae family. And as you said you can cross orchids in this group as you know of as intergenerics. Theres thousands i'd say.
Ive seen Brassidium shooting star x Brassia Longissima which looks alot like yours.
Kim thats a beautiful orchid but i don't think its the same as Kristens.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 9:10 PM

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 9:10 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.