cashew nuts germinating

mulege, Mexico

It's a red letter day here as the first of the cashew nuts I planted has germinated.

Does anyone here grow them and can you tell me anything about their likes/dislikes.

I have been warned not to handle the seedlings without gloves as they are related to poison ivy.

I'm so excited. I got seeds from Braveheartsmom (Jenny) and the first cashew poking it's little head up. What a day.

Life is good.

katiebear

Keaau, HI

Unless you're very vulerable to poison ivy, it should be ok to handle the plants. Just don't get any sap on you. Wash your hands with soap and water after handling if you think you have been exposed to the plants juices.
If you eat mangos regularly, you are probably immune to the toxin.

Cashew apple trees like lots of Sunlight and moisture, and they will produce the best fruit / nuts this way. An organic mulch under the tree will help as well.
They are drought tolerant, but will perform better if you don't let them get too thirsty.

mulege, Mexico

Thank you.

kb

Vieques, PR

We have a cashew tree in our yard here in Vieques. I expect it to flower soon, if it hasn't already --we've been in DC for the last two months-- and the odd fruit/nut combo takes a couple months to get ripe and drop. Kind of looks like an apple or a quince, with a cashew-shaped nut on the bloom end. We have not had any trouble with allergic reaction, but will take care based on advice above.

I understand the nuts are poisonous / extremely astringent until cured or treated in some way, so don't plan on it becoming a "snack tree", as I had once hoped.

Vieques, PR

Here's a link: http://www.rirdc.gov.au/champions/cashewsaust.html

This message was edited May 20, 2008 6:14 PM

Vieques, PR

Key info:

The cashew nut kernel, as we know it in retail markets, grows within an outer shell at the bottom end of a cashew ‘apple ’. In many countries this apple is eaten fresh or used for juice, but it is discarded in Australia. After harvest at Dimbulah, the nuts are removed from the apple, bagged, and packed into 20-foot shipping containers for transport to secondary processing plants in either China, Vietnam or Indonesia. Processing primarily involves the removal of the outer shell and testa around the kernel by hand. This process is critical, because the cashew shell contains a corrosive liquid commonly called CNSL, which can damage the kernel, and the hands of the workers, if it is not removed carefully.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

We have two trees...and I wanted them OUT of the area because the dogs eat any nuts on the ground...they will NOT eat the cashews...so we are lucky. The fruit itself is the BEST part...in Costa Rica called maranon..makes a great drink with rum!!! and good jam too!

mulege, Mexico

Thank you, Carol. I have two little trees now. Hopefully, more to come.

katiebear

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Good luck with them Katiebear! Keep us posted on the progress, we are all curious.

Yokwe,
Shari

The blooms are tiny, and smell divine- rather like allspice.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Shari's right, we will all be watching your progress with the cashews Katie...I had thought about having one but was sure I couldn't deal with the deshelling!

I hope you are over last week's set back, and are feeling stronger again...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.