holes in new bean leaves

Jenkintown, PA

Something is eating through my bean leaves. I have sprayed with a homemade organic garlic pepper oil but they don't seem to be benefiting. Any advice?

For pictures go to

http://post-oil-learning.blogspot.com/2008/05/someone-is-eating-my-beans.html

This message was edited May 20, 2008 10:50 AM

Thumbnail by post_oil_living
Houston, TX

Hrmmmm.... if it's an ant, a little cinnamon might chase them off, but that doesn't look like ants.

My dad used to have pretty good success by spraying his plants with a mixture of a tiny amount of dishsoap (like Ivory or any other normal dishsoap) and a lot of water. It was a squirt to a gallon, so I'm guessing about a tablespoon or two of dishsoap to a gallon of water. That seemed to be a pretty good all-purpose deterrent to all bugs.

Jenkintown, PA

Awesome idea - thanks! As far as soap goes - what do you know about using Murphy's oil soap?

Houston, TX

Not a thing, unfortunately. Sorry.

We used to only have a couple soaps in the house, due to the fact that nearly all others made our skin break out. Ivory dish/body/washing was the major choice. Apparently, it had fewer perfumes and such so it worked for us. Mom even used it to wash our hair, and followed with a homemade conditioner so that she and I had amazingly long, thick, healthy hair.

I have a feeling, if you are going to use it, that most any dishsoap you find in the organic section will work. Basically, as long as it's mostly soap and not a lot else, it should be OK. If Murphys is mostly soap, and not too many chemicals/perfumes/etc. then it might be worth a try.

Jenkintown, PA

Great - I have access to plenty of organic and natural soaps - sounds easy enough!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.