Pruning here in Zone 5

Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi All!!

Okay, from what I just was told for the second season and forgot *AGAIN* is I should have pruned my Group 3 pruning clems. they were planted last year, in the spring......do you think I could still prune, but just not as hard maybe?? I am so mad at myself......Grrrrr......Now, I have marked my calendar for next spring.....

Thanks!!

Oh, and if need to know the variety's I have, I can let you know......all but a couple are the hard prune......:-)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lucy..don't beat up on yourself hon...it's not imperative that you hard prune on such and such day..being in a colder zone than me your time is later rather than earlier...just prune an inch above a leaf axil..possibly the 3rd leaf axil from the soil...just because you prune later than you think you should doesn't mean you should prune them higher..because remember that pruning group 3's bloom on the new vines that are produced during the growing season...so those left from last year won't have blooms..go ahead and prune now....Jeanne

Thank-You so much.....going out to do it now! :-)

All done, and I hope they are alright.....LOL....I did all , oh I don't know, 12-15 of them....all hard prunes, so I did not go all the way down on them, but they all are now cut back.......Etoile the most......I also marked the calendar for about a month earlier to PRUNE.....LOL......Thanks again!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You are so welcome hon and share pics when they start blooming!!..Job well done!!!...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.