Can anyone tell me what vine this is?

Edinburg, TX

A friend had this growing on a fence but she pulled it out because it never bloomed. She never knew the name of it either. Hers had gobs of foliage but no flowers.

I took a cutting home and potted it up. This one ended up twining itself throughout one of my citrus trees. I have no idea what it is though. I recently noticed pale greenish white clusters of what appear to be flower buds but have not seen them open yet...at least I'd think they'd open up more???

I live in the south tip of Texas (zone 9)
~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

Photo of the leaves and partial blooms.

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

Another photo of a leaf.

~ Cat

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Cat,
I'm wondering if it's a native solanum. I have something similar here.

Oh boy, my garden is getting swallowed by chalice vines right now..!

Edinburg, TX

RJ,

What species of solanum do you think it is? I can't find any similarity in the leaves or flower clusters and the tendrils put out curling smaller tendrils that latch onto whatever is within reach.

The chalice vines have really taken off in my yard too. I have way too many long branches sprawled across my yard. When I do prune them back I just can't make myself toss them to the curb so I end up sticking them into pots and the vicious cycle continues!!! Really wish someone within the vicinity would take them off my hands!!! Better yet would be perfectly content if they were a butterfly or moth larval host...but no such luck.

~ Cat

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I will do some diggin on that. I'm supposing that those are unopened blooms. It is difficult to tell sometimes on mine, as they turn into little balls like that and grow larger berries for seeds.

Yes..darnit..I do the same thing with chalice..in fact today I did that.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

try looking thru these
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=solanum+vine&gbv=2

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm at work..was trying to look through those..

this is the one that I have that is native...it reminded me of what you posted..but not quite exactly
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54503/

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

How big are the leaves? Looks like it twines like a passion...

Edinburg, TX

RJ,

I have St Vincent's Lilac - solanum seaforthium - but it looks nothing like that.

The leaves vary in size...the largest,older ones are a good six inches or so long and about 4 to 5 inches wide.

Am still waiting to see if those flower buds will open up. It's been several days since I noticed them...but nothing new to photograph yet.

~ Cat

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay...I will be interested in seeing a photo if they open. I'll ask my buddy Wayne at Zone9Tropicals.com,
he is up on his vineology...lol

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

There used to be some of that growing on a chain link fence at a nursery I used to go to.
I asked the name of it, and even they didn't know, but they said it was a weed, and needed to come out...
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.