iris no names

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

here is some iris that have bloomed. i don't know what they are they are from an iris bed i divided since i've moved here

Thumbnail by Len123
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

purple and white

Thumbnail by Len123
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

purple

Thumbnail by Len123
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

blue

Thumbnail by Len123
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

last one a two-tone maroon

Thumbnail by Len123
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

name or no name Len, they are all beauties!!!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

thank you mrsj.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

The top one is Flavescens by De Candolle 1813, IB, EM Pale yellow standards over cream falls, lightly reticulated brown at hafts.

Here is a pic of mine obtained in HIPS 2006 sale.

This message was edited May 19, 2008 12:55 AM

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Second one appears to be Wabash by E.B. Williamson 1936 a purple ameona 35", M, frag and a Dykes Medal winner in 1940.

Here is a pic of mine.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

thank you very much mainer. I thought maybe this winter when i had more time i could probably go through the millions of iris's to see what they might be. I have looked at catalogs online, but just couldn't see buying any when i didn't know what i had after dividing the old bed that wasn't blooming. I had only seen 2 blooms the first couple of years i was here. It's sort of a big leap of faith, that i divided and planted them everywhere, wheelbarrows full when i didn't even know what i had.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Glad to help with the first two. They look like wonderful historics. Hope the others can be identified by persons growing them. I will check HIPS, Historical Iris Preservation Society, photos to see if anything might be similar enough to suggest an id. I do not grow or have pics yet of the others.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i will too and thanks mainer. at least i can eliminate from looking at the latest. the house was built in '61, but they had moved an old house that was here before that to a few miles up the road, so i do not know when they were planted.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

it looks like the last one might be indian chief

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Just might be. My Indian Chief has never bloomed being newly planted.

On Wabash like noid check for purple based fans. If purple is in the fans before or around blooming time then it is another indication it might be Wabash.

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

My Wabash had never bloomed either,Julianna, but finally this year I have buds. I also have the purple based foliage. I remember reading somewhere on-line, that if you don't have the PBF, you have a different iris than Wabash. Both are smilar, but the PBF nails the ID.

Len123, could you tell me if Indian Chief is fragrant? My neighbor has one that resembles it, that's blooming right now, and it is very fragrant.

Linda

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

mainer, i just came from the iris bed, i'm not sure if ithey have the purple will check, I know i do have the purple on some of my iris at the fan base because i was curious why some had it and some didn't.
If mine is indian chief, i haven't smelled anything. i didn't stick my nose in them or anything. also the wind has been blowing pretty hard today.
I gave some to my mom last year, and she says a pure white one opened up, but i don't have any of those. But i do have this gold one.

Thumbnail by Len123
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

my goodness, i checked for the purple on the indian chief instead of the wabash. well the ic doesn't have the purple, but it does have a slight flower fragrance, wabash doesn't have any.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i'm thinking the gold one might be sherwin-wright?

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Not seen the gold one before. Beautiful though.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

mainer, i think i just got lucky, they seem to be historic and tough as nails. Perhaps the not so hardy all died out!lol. I thought all iris were such and i've been reading a few threads where some get rot, disease, not very vigorous,etc. I divided a small part of the old bed in the fall of '06, and these are those. I dug up the rest of the bed last summer and had wheelbarrows full and planted them everywhere they should bloom next year. I tilled and fertilized where the old bed was, and this year there are iris's everywhere that came up, i don't know where they came from i thought i got them all! i know i planted them too close together and just hope that i don't have to divide them again next year. the ones i planted last year i spaced a few according to the book, but realized i would never get them all planted, so i crowded them also.
here is the small bed they came out of

Thumbnail by Len123
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

here is some that should bloom next year, they go almost to the stump, i just weeded these not long ago, the others go across the front of the house, and i have a big row zigzagging around the pasture area, but they are swallowed in tall grass, that i have to weed out of them someday, so you can't see well in pictures.

Thumbnail by Len123
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Very pretty. Is there water like a pond in the background? Lillium in front? I see pink roses in the second pic. Thanks for showing the garden I would not have pictured in my mind what you did with the garden bed. Lovely and very different from mine.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

yes mainer there is a pond, lilies evrywhere, roses everywhere, I don't really have a garden. ijust plant stuff all over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.