Iris ID, if possible...

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I live in an area where bearded irises do not flourish. If they live at all, they will decline steadily. However, we have found this one iris that not only lives, it multiplies and is gorgeous too! But we don't know its name. I realize that there are many, many irises, but on the off chance - can any of you help to ID it?

Thumbnail by ceejaytown

Another photo...

Thumbnail by ceejaytown

And the last...

Thumbnail by ceejaytown
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

ceejay....

I am also in Zone 9A and have been growing Tall Bearded Iris very succesfully for a few years, there are many people in this area that are also growing them...as a matter of fact there was an Iris grower here in Phoenix (Shepards Iris Gardens) for years - they retired and closed the business a couple of years ago unfortunately, but they were a very well known grower......and Margie here on the forum is growing/hubridizing beautiful iris in Tucson, AZ!

I can't tell you the name of your particular iris, but it does appear to be a Tall Bearded...you might want to check on-line or at local nurseries and buy a couple more this fall and give them a try!

Mine are planted in raised beds, full sun until 3PM, they are on drip system that handles them along with daylilies and roses in same bed......

Hope this is helpful!

Audrey

Thumbnail by mrsj
South Hamilton, MA

Try 'Lady Friend' in Plant Files & see if it is a match.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Lady Friend
looks very close
and if it is it
It is one of the great iris of the past years no one
has matched the exact color of it yet in newer ones
LADY FRIEND by JOE GHIO 1980
very early blooming Garnett red /red beard
which is not the best description of it
it has a glow of mauve and blue in sunlight very mysterious red color

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Looks like Lady Friend. Can't be 100% sure, but this would be my guess.

Raleigh, NC

Or Mulled Wine, if this was a recent photo. Lady Friend would have bloomed out for you by how surely? Lady Friend should have been in bloom for you around the 1st of April to April 15th. Mulled Wine is more likely, perhaps, if this were blooming after April 20th.

They look nearly identical - just blooming at different times.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Lady Friend........to me

Thumbnail by jackieshar

No, it's all bloomed out. Those photos were taken in late March. I sent the information to the friend that gave me my fan, and she is convinced that you have nailed it with Lady Friend. (I love that name!)

Although we are both zone 9a, mrsj, our downfall is humidity and rain. Even in raised beds with great drainage, the bearded irises decline. Our mainstay is Louisiana irises for that reason. And there wasn't any way to buy them without the name.

Thank you irisMA and all for your ID! You're great!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Looks like LADY FRIEND to me too. I bet it is!!! ^_^

~Margie

Raleigh, NC

well, if it's giving you great vigor despite what usually happens to TB iris, it looks like this, and it bloomed in March, then the chances that you have Lady Friend, or an offspring thereof, are excellent.

South Hamilton, MA

Lady Friend is lovely--unfortunately struggles in our climate as you might expect. Those in this area which have it do well, really hang on to it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.