EZ Flo- need an organic water soluble fertilizer

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Does anyone have any experience with fertilizer injectors like the EZ flo system? http://www.ezfloinjection.com Ive been reading and reading on them and besides the EZ Flo brand fertilizer I can use any "water soluble ORGANIC fertilizer" in the system. Problem is its hard to find a fertilizer that matches that description...lol. Any ideas?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Liquid fish emulsion? That is normally diluted and used as a drench, at least that's the way I use it. Or compost tea which is also a liquid system and can be diluted further once steeped.

Houston, TX

Depending on the amount of space you have to set up a composter, compost tea may be your best bet.

I have read a way to make microbes for study (grade school stuff) that might work, though. I cannot imagine why it would not:

- Put a bunch of organic matter in a pot, with a ratio of about 7 dry (brown) to 3 wet (green). You can use hay, straw, dead leaves, etc. for the brown, and grass clippings, or vegetable greens (like carrot tops or other parts that you would throw away), for the green.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer.
- Let simmer for about 2 hours or more. Stir occasionally to loosen the matter and break up any boiled parts that want to break up.
- Strain loosely (through a screen or cheesecloth), into another pot or bucket. You will throw away the plant matter (or compost it), and save the water. If this has boiled out properly, you will have a milky liquid, not unlike soup, with tiny bits of stuff in it.
- Cover the liquid with cheesecloth and store in a warm, dark, dry place. The warmer the better, as the heat will encourage the growth of organisms.
- Let sit for at least three days - or longer.
- You may take samples of the "soup" after about three days, and put them under a microscope to see a lot of bacteria and other micro-organisms.

I have a feeling that this would make a good "rushed tea" that could be used as a fertilizer. The boiling is to loosen the plant matter and infuse the water with lots of good stuff. It probably is not as concentrated with goodies as a real compost tea, but I bet that it would still be beneficial to your plants.

If you have a plant or two that you want to experiment with, this might help. I hope it does.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think that will work too well, boiling kills most microorganisms (that's why when your water supply gets contaminated you're supposed to boil water before you drink it). So anything that grows in there is going to be airborne stuff that lands in it after it cools down (probably mostly mold spores), not necessarily the best organisms for the garden.

If you want quickie tea without having to wait for your compost pile, the way to go is worm castings & molasses, or alfalfa. For the worm casting tea, you take some worm castings and put them in some netting/fabric (picture a giant tea bag), add a bit of molasses to the water to give the microbes some nutrients, and let it brew. Or for alfalfa tea I've never made it but I don't think you need the molasses for that one, you just use the alfalfa by itself.

Houston, TX

That would explain why it gets so full of stuff to look at, definitely. Thank you!

*wanders off to start figuring out how much worm castings to buy until she can make her own beds*

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.