Have you had luck with Agastache Tutti Frutti in zone 6?

Somers, NY(Zone 6b)

I purchased and planted three outstanding plants late summer, 2007. The large plants, in full bloom. The tag said hardy to zone 6, which is my zone. I planted two in one of my perennial beds and the thrid in another. Both beds are well drained and in full sun. None survived.

I took pictures of the dead stalks to the garden center, hoping for a replacement. Their policy is that if they do not plant it, they do not guarantee it. However, I think that the plant is either not hardy around here, or marginally hardy and did not have sufficient time to establish itself before winter. I do no think that I killed them - as was implied when the owner critiqued the soil in the picture and told me to dig in some peat moss when planting.

Anyone have better luck with agastache tutti frutti? And, what is the policy for your local garden center?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I never tried to grow this one back when I lived in zone 6 so I don't have any experience to share, but it could be the same thing that I proposed for people who were having trouble getting Gaillardia to come back. You're in a part of the country where you probably get more than the amount of annual rainfall that most agastaches like (the blue ones like 'Blue Fortune' are more moisture tolerant). Then you add on top of that any supplemental watering that you did, and it's probably had a decent bit more water than the amount it really wants. If you have perfect drainage, that'll let you push the upper limit a bit on the water, but even with perfect drainage most Agastaches other than Blue Fortune and the ones similar to it can only handle 30-40 inches per year (and with less than perfect drainage, you need to stay under 30 inches). Then on top of that you're near the lower end of their hardiness range, so that may not help either. I'm really hoping some folks from zone 5/6 in the West will post on some of these threads, if these sort of plants make it through the winter with no problem for them then I think the water factor is definitely playing a big role, but for now most of the people who've posted are in the eastern half of the country so it's hard to prove out the theory, I'm just going on what I know about how much rainfall these plants can supposedly handle.

It would be nice if garden centers had a bit more knowledge on what would really do well in your area though, I've found many of them are severely lacking in that area. Out here, most garden centers only offer a limited guarantee on plants, most of them are smaller nurseries and probably can't afford to be paying for everyone's brown thumbs. Places like Home Depot have 1 yr guarantees, and there's one or two nurseries that are parts of larger chains that offer longer warranties (one year or sometimes even a lifetime guarantee)

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My Gaillardia 'Burgundy' came back no problem. Same with Agastache 'Black Adder' which is rated for a colder zone than mine. They were moist all winter from snowfall but my soil is extremely sandy. I planted them because of my garden conditions. I agree that drainage and moisture issues can affect the hardiness of some plants. I tried to over winter some Verbena bonariensis with no luck though. Maybe next year?

This message was edited May 18, 2008 3:27 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've not tried the Tutti Frutti. But I started purple pygmy last year from seed (wintersown) and they are back for their 2nd year. Very pretty, and smell like bubble gum.

Karen

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I actually just planted some of these last week, so I am hoping that they survive. I also planted cana agastache, and summer breeze. We had a record breaking amount of rain this month, so I guess it is a good thing that they were just planted on Friday.

You might get more information from the agastache & salvia forum (or the salvia and agastache forum)

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I think ecrane has pointed out the biggest reason certain plants, especially ones that like dryish soil, don't always survive in the northeast. So my solution is to group only these types of plants together and not give them supplemental water. Of course I have mostly sand for soil so I think it might work. I was also thinking this type of perennial bed would be a good candidate for tulips - because I've read that the closer you can duplicate their natural habitat, the more likely they will return. I guess they are from an area with moist springs and very dry summers. I know this year I had some return where the bed was sloped and the ones at the top retrurned but not the ones at the bottom.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I am having problems with it in Zone 7B. I planted three huge plants last year, late summer, I have two spindly sticks from one plant come back and they are pathetic. I am so disappointed as they smelled so good and were so beautiful. Is this plant just delicate or what? Very disappointed as I am sure you are.

New Boston, NH

Well I bought several of these types from HighCountry Gardens and they are doing well hope they can survive this climate as I barely do!
Peter

Somers, NY(Zone 6b)

I just purchased three agastache cana from Bluestone Perennials on their half-price sale last weekend. Per the catalog, they are more hardy than tutti frutti, so I am hoping for better luck.

I did notice something interesting in my garden in support of ecrane's comments on too much water. I bought six guara plants last summer at Lowe's, primarily because they were only $3.33 each and I cannot resist a bargain. I planted the three pink fountain in a rock garden. I planted the three whirling butterflies in my perennial border. The plants in the rock garden (which is on a steep hill) came back and are thriving. In plants in the perennial border (which is well drained and has average soil but on a gentle slope) did not survive. There was more snow cover in the perennial border and more regular watering during the year as well as better water retention - so the primary cause of the varying success may have been too much water.

Thanks, ecrane, for the comments. While I thought of soil, drainage and rainfall with respect to how much water a plant needs, I never thought of adding in my weekly watering or snow cover.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Glad to help! That definitely makes sense that the ones in the rock garden on the hill did better than the others--that's just the sort of location that will work best if you're trying to grow more xeric plants in a wetter climates. I wish the garden centers and catalogs would think more about the whole water thing--with the way the climate is these days everyone's looking for drought tolerant and xeriscape plants, and most places don't bother to warn you that those sorts of plants are not going to be as long-lived in wetter climates and just from reading all the threads here I think there are a lot of people in the eastern half of the country who are being disappointed by plants like this. High Country Gardens is the only catalog I know of that actually gives you the info on how much annual rainfall plants like, but even with theirs you have to scroll way, way to the bottom of the page to find it and I'm sure many people don't take the time to look all the way down there.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Agastache, like penstemons, don't like or need much water. The term 'xeriscape' was coined years ago, here in Aurora, CO by a Water Dept employee. Our average rainfall is less than 14", though for the past decade, 10" is a banner year. I grow my agastache in full sun(300+ days/yr at a Mile High above sea level-ie very strong rays), sandy soil, and the only water is overspray from the yard spriklers that the wind knocks their way(I did water a bit while getting established). The penstemons can get away with part shade, though they prefer full sun. I think that most garden centers east of Kansas are only just beginning to deal with droughts and are still playing catch-up with facts. Here in Colorado and the Rocky Mtn states, we've been dealing with it for a very long time. There are many things you guys have to deal with, that we don't even have to think about(I water my roses with an above ground sprinkler as well as drip, as we have VERY low humidity). High Ctry Gardens is a great resource for xeriscape(not zeroscape) info, as is the Rocky Mtn forum on Dave's. Best of luck. Paul

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, EVEN THOUGH I missed the cut-off date for regular shipping to the East Coast by a few days, I went ahead and re-ordered the same agastache (or one quite like it) from HCG for summer enjoyment. I had to pay a few bucks extra and it will be here tomorrow. If I treat it right, maybe it will come back. Maybe I'll have too much water no matter what I do.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Try adding sand and/or pea gravel like you would compost to other plants. Might aid in drainage. Also, a raised area, where the water will flow away to more water hungry plants.

I love growing cannas, but have to heavily compost, about 3-4" of mulch, and they have their own drip lines. So, maybe reverse that.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2008 11:27 AM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Why are we never happy with what we have?And does your water co. person get one cent every time someone uses the term "xeriscape"?

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Can I ask your opinions on something? I started some things from seed this year and I can't decide if I should plant them in my unamended sandy soil or if I should till in a 2" layer of compost. Some different types of penstemon and false red yucca are the ones off the top of my head.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.