FINALLY!!!!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I was supposed to transplant everything out into the garden on mother's day....but it rained. So I finally got them in yesterday and it's a good thing because today....yup, it's raining! Here is a shot from the upstairs bathroom of the garden.

I had to buy lettuce because all the lettuce I planted didn't make it. But everything else did! I can't wait! It's gonna be great!

Despite the fact that I grew my own herbs, I could not resist the urge to buy more when I went to buy some compost to mix into the garden before I planted....it's a weakness.

My name is noobiegardener and I'm a plantaholic....

Thumbnail by noobiegardener
Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Wow, that's quite a screen system you put over those!! Is that sprinkler tubing going up into the center?

Oh, you can register as a plantaholic in this week's poll! lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Where's the razor wire and watch towers? :)

Just kidding. Looks great!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I love that!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

couldn't afford the razor wire...the watchtower is my bathroom window! LOL. My husband built that cage for me last year when the squirrels totally ruined two prior seasons of corn. Between all these squirrels and the rabbits it's like wild kingdom. I literally cried when they ruined my corn. So last year hubby said "that's it....this is what brings my wife joy and I will build something to protect her hard work".

I love it! I can just go to sleep at night knowing that those darn critters won't get in. They already ate my neighbors tomato plants! Two of which I gave him from seeds I grew myself.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

He did a really good job - does he hire out?? hehehehe

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Nope! After he and I spent three weekends cutting wood and building that thing he vowed never to do it again. Oh and yes that is soaker hose tubing going up the center. Gotta replace it though because last year holes just kept opening up on it. I am just going to use a regular sprinkler set outside of the cage this year. Didn't feel like climbing up and cutting the old tubing down.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I think that fence would even keep the raccoons out!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

it keeps everything out except the occasional finch bird.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Noobie--I love that contraption your DH made. I think I could use several of those only smaller to put over plants in my raised beds. Like you, I have to protect from lots of critters out there and I use netting and row covers or whatever. The netting is really hard to work with. These could just pop right over everything. They could be lifted off when the plants are mature. I find that when the corn is high, critters leave it alone. Raccoons wait until the ears are ready, but we aren't bothered too much by raccoons because of our dog. (Knock on wood) Crows and Blue Jays around here will dig up corn seed not to mention my hens when my back is turned. Just about the time I relax because a deer hasn't visited in awhile---Boom. They get in. The dog isn't as interested in deer. I think he has befriended them. Anyway, nice work. Your garden looks great and safe.

Evergreen, CO

that's really great. I hope you take good care of that man:-)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sis - i get mad and jealous every time you show that darn picture. mad because i don't have one and jealous because i can't build one.

can't wait to see later pictureswith everything growing

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

fourks...he is spoiled to high heavens. He gets gourmet dinners every night and I wash his clothes, iron his clothes, do all the cleaning and I even do the yardwork--grass cutting and all. But I don't mind because he works hard. He's my constant joy in life...him and my children.

Big Brother....I will keep the pictures coming. LOL!

Jenkintown, PA

WOW! That is beautiful and inspiring!
I'm in my first year - well, second but last year was so bad I really shoulodn't count it at all.

you can see my humble start at

http://post-oil-learning.blogspot.com/

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

noobie, what is the size of your enclosed garden ? And how tall does it need to be for the corn ?

That's awesome ! Never seen anything like it.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

my garden is 300 square feet and it's 10 feet high. I grew corn in it last year and got about 6 ears, but they didn't grow to what I consider full size. I gave up on trying to grow corn. I think it just needs more space than I can give it at this point.

Tucson, AZ

i love your structure. my bf built something very similar for me several years ago only with green shade cloth on top, chicken wire around bottom(buried 8 inches as well) and bird netting all around. we call it a VEGETARIUM. it has worked great and keeps critters out. congratulations!!!! and good luck :) btw, mine is 10 x 30 so about the same sq footage. i've also planted flowers around the outside and vines up the posts. looks real pretty

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

that sounds really nice. I just love mine. It's my haven.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's a neat idea noobie, WE have deer so bad, that Dh did something similar to that for our peas they ate the peas down 3 times last year before I gave up.

We used t posts and bent the cow panels over and tied them down to make a dome and we can close off the ends so deer can't go inside. Lots of folks have stopped by asking why we did that, I now have cucumbers starting to grow up the cow panels so I don't have to bend to pick them . which won't be for a while. but it will be easier on my back.

Now seems all the deer have disappeared, and we had tons of lady and zipper peas left over so we planted them elsewhere in the garden, and all seems well with them so far. No deer. We loose alot to rabbits too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.