Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's some mountain bluets with a pink columbine

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Another mountain bluet pic

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a side view of the garden. You can see some bleeding hearts in bloom, and a digitalis (if you look closely) in bud.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

View from the other side (You can see some lavendar on the left, which are in bud)

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Straight on view of the center of the garden. You can see some scabiosa in bud just to the right of the weeping blue cedar. And, just behind the silver mound, the morris berd phlox is also in bud.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

(Actually, the phlox is behind the mountain bluets that are behind the silver mound)

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

pgt, That blue geranium I have alot of. Since I saw your pics I have to get some salvia to go with it is beautiful together. See now you make me go buy more plants. TEE HEE Thanks BEV

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
I am from AZ. I just love looking at your pictures.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I too like your pairing of the hardy geranium with the salvia. And all the other parts of your spring border are so pretty, too!

I have G. 'rozanne' and G. 'jolly bee' but I hadn't thought of pairning them with the salvias. Great idea!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone! I'm new to this gardening thing, and I feel like it's going to take me forever to get the border "right". My poor plants are constantly going through shock from my moving them around. Now that "early spring" is pretty much over, I'm going to try to keep things the way they are until fall, when I'll probably move things around again. Anyway, any design advice would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks for the compliments.

--Pam

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

you garden is great! cant wait to see it when it gets totally into swing!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow, nice garden. Very nice. You are new to gardening? You catch on very quickly.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pam,

You have a great eye for color and composition. Such a nice garden!

Donna

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh my word, I need to come on here more often. You guys are great for my ego! Yes. I just started gardening last year. Luckily, I had that beautiful weeping blue atlas cedar already there to work around. I look at all the beautiful gardens on this website, and get completely overwhelmed, want to buy every plant that I see, and feel so far behind. I think that so far, the hardest part of gardening has been trying to be patient. I don't have a ton of money to spend, so I'm trying to do as much dividing and transplanting from other parts of the yard as I can. Thank you all for the inspiration!
Pam

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I also can't believe that you are a beginner!! Do you have any background in arts/painting/designing!!?? When I just started to garden, I had many many brown sticks. As I get experience, I have fewer brown sticks^_^

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

In college, I majored in chemistry, and minored in fine arts (with a studio art emphasis) - I used to paint a lot. I then ditched the artsy stuff and got my PhD in chemistry. Worked in biotech for a long time, then started having kids and decided to stay home with them (I have 3 boys (2, 4 & 6 yo)). I think the gardening is a way for me to (try) to express myself artistically, but I'm pretty rusty. So, I really appreciate all of your sweet compliments. Thanks so much.

--Pam

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pam,

I should have guessed. The artist in you is expressing itself. And you can present your "paintings in the garden" so quickly. It really is a rare gift.

Donna

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautifully done, Pam! You have a great eye for what looks good together. Patience will come; finally I've reached the attitude that its the journey not the destination, especially where the garden is concerned.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/851557/

iris coop that needs some help if you can!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Pam,
You have a gorgeous start to your garden! As it fills in it will only get better and better. Looks like you have an eye for putting plants together. Way to go!
Sherry

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Pam,
I also have science/art background. In college, I majored in biology and minored in art history. Here are some examples of my garden.

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I play with complementary colors.

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

wall is painted blue.it makes the green color pop.

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful garden, Lovetropics.

What's that purple tube-like flower?
And is that trumpet vine? I love the flowers on trumpet vine, and we had three of those plants that climbed up the wall in that same garden that I posted photos of. Unfortunately, it was really really invasive for us. I was constantly weeding new shoots of it out of our garden. I finally decided to get rid of it. It took me forever. I had to saw it down to the ground, drill holes in it, and pour concentrated weed killer down the holes. They are finally dead, but now I really miss their beautiful flowers!
Thanks for sharing your pictures. They really are beautiful.
Pam.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Pam,
the purple tube like flower is iochroma. It comes in various colors. Becomes deciduous in my zone but comes back very strong in my garden. Unfortunately I have pack rat problem. They love that plant and therefore I did not add any other species of that plant.
The orange jubilee is a type of tecoma. It is not at all like trumpet vine. I also don't like the trumpet vine since it takes over and is overly aggressive. Tecoma stans also has yellow variety and I believe has dwarf shrub type and tall viny type.
thank you for the complement.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Some more stuff is blooming. Here's my scabiosa waking up.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

And my morris berd phlox starting to bloom

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

And, now I need some design advice. I love my Johnson's Blue Geraniums now while they are in bloom. But, I think that once they start to fade and get leggy toward the end of the summer, I'd be happier if I had something with nice foliage in front of the geraniums on the right, that are at the very front of the bed, and to the left of the bleeding hearts.

Thumbnail by pgt
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

pgt--your color scheme is coming into bloom in a beautiful fashion! t.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a closer view of the area I'm talking about. I was thinking about planting either lady's mantle, polygonatum odoratum 'variegatum', or maybe even just some hosta.
What do you guys think?

Thumbnail by pgt
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pgt,

Gorgeous! I have ladies mantle, and it is magnificent. My garden is also primarily shades of pink, purple and blue (with a splash of red) so I just love what you are doing. I wonder whether a pink fall blooming anemone x hybrida (not tomentosum), but perhaps September Charm.

But warning! No hostas! I just read a thread from a person on the perennials thread "Things you wish you hadn't planted" and learned about a terrible disease of hostas that is spreading like wildfire because garden centers don't know and people are passing hostas to each other. The person had lost between 20 and 30.

Please see this link:

http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVX.htm

Donna

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

oooooh. I like your taste. I think that I will do Lady's Mantle with some anenomes too. Thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll have to wait until fall to plant, b/c I promised my husband I wouldn't buy any more plants in the near future. But I can already picture it, and can't wait to see it in my garden next year!

Thanks for the heads up about the hosta! I had no idea. We have a bunch of hosta around our property that I just keep dividing, and adding to the places where I think I need some. (I love gardening for free!).

Thanks again for the suggestion. I was really leaning toward lady's mantle - love the green flowers and the blue-ish foliage, and I think it will look great in front of the Johnson's Blues. I can picture them peeking through, and flopping over them. And the anemones will be great for adding some fall color. Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

--Pam.

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

Pam,
In the first picture, what Salvia is that, it is breathtaking!?
Kathy

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I bought it at Home Depot last year, and I'm 98% sure it's May Night.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

One word. Gorgeous.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

excellent start to your garden. Your textures with the colors is wonderful.

Thanks for sharing your garden pictures.

Janet

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

You guys are so nice. I really appreciate all the positive feedback about my garden. I'm really starting to get into this gardening thing. I've learned so much and have gotten so many ideas from this forum. I'm so glad I found it.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And, for future consideration, allium christophii.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4TSHB_enUS217US218&resnum=0&q=allium+christophii&um=1&ie=UTF-8

I have lots of them because I allowed them to fully seed for 8 years. I can send you some. They are EXQUISITE! And they fit into your (may I say our?) color scheme. You tuck them in between other plants. Smashing with ladies mantle and ferns.

Donna

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Donna. We really do think alike. I love allium, and have it on my "to buy next year" list. I love the globes, and think they add unique texture to any garden. I would love for you to send me some. I've never done the plant trading thing, and don't really know the etiquette. But, I'd be more than happy to pay for the postage, and your time. I'll dmail you my address, and we can work it out. I'd love to offer some plants to you, too, but since my garden is just getting started, I don't really have anything that I'm willing to give up just yet. But, maybe in a few years?

Thanks so much!
Pam.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.