I purchased....

(Zone 4a)

An Etoile Violette to plant up my new pergola - what do you think? We moved the pergola closer to the little side garden after the photo was taken...

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I LOVE your Pergola..you'll Love Clematis "Etoille Violette"..Mine is huge after years...Jeanne
edit to say EV..sorry

This message was edited May 18, 2008 4:35 PM

(Zone 4a)

I have been looking for that one around here Jeanne but I haven't seen it anywhere yet.....However if I do that one "is" on my list for the other post of the pergola.

Thanks for the compliment on the pergola :)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

"Etoile Violette" is a beauty, which I've had growing in my garden for years. I think you'll be very pleased with that Clematis.

Your pergola looks great! Once you have it covered with Clematis, you will really enjoy sitting under it and smiling up at your beautiful flowers!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

sorry..I meant Etoille and typed VV..guess you know what is on my mind..LOL...Jeanne

(Zone 4a)

Thanks ladies - this is how I planted her - she should be okay right? I still need to mulch or put some rocks around it....it still isn't that warm here so I am not worried about that just yet.....

Thumbnail by DawnLL

Definitely mulch which helps the soil maintain its moisture. You can always then add decorative rocks too.

(Zone 4a)

So Shirley are you saying the way it is planted is fine - meaning the way I have it leaning over to grab the support?

Perfect! I always plant my Clematis at a 45 degree angle. That way more of the plant comes in contact with the soil and more roots are formed.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree with Shirley and planted that way it creates more vines from the leaf axil being planted in the soil...I planted my Clematis "Polish Spirit" literally Sideways and I have two plants now and need to divide..that is going to look superb!!..Jeanne

(Zone 4a)

Guess what!!!! I have decided to get a Betty Corning and plant her along side of the Etoile Violette - I think that would be a STUNNING COMBO!!! What do you all think? I will have them grow up the same post!!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Sounds AWESOME!!..Well done..you go girl!!..Jeanne

"Betty Corning" & "Etoile Violette" will make an excellent flowering duo. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

Delaware, OH

in my zone, Etoile violette is a beauty,but does tend to die back after blooming and needs shaping up to bloom again. i would also plant vitacella polish spirit on the pergola as it provides lush lush foliage and mid summer small purple blooms with little die back or need to prune. or you can prune it back after the winter. it has a foliage that will be welcome on the pergola along with the seasonal impact of the etolie violette.

(Zone 4a)

I ended up purchasing a Ville de Lyon for the other post - I couldn't resist - The pics I have seen of her are so pretty!! I sure hope she does me proud!!!!

Ville de Lyon is a "tried & true" Clematis. It will do you proud!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dawn...you'll adore Clematis "Ville de Lyon"..I love it so much that I planted another one...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
(Zone 4a)

Ohhhhhhh so pretty - thanks for posting!!!! Bring them on if you have more - I am so addicted!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dawn ...you are more than welcome to visit my Journal on Clematis..I am trying to get them all listed...Jeanne
http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewbycat.php?cat=44160

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.