Columbines and More Columbines

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Doesn't matter if you call them columbines or Aquilegia, they are all lovely. Mine are just starting. I think this one is was tagged as Mockingbird of the songbird series, but I can't find information on one with that name.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is a pure white one that has been reseeding in the garden for years.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And a blue and white one from the Spring Magic series. Sorry about the pickup.

Susan

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful, lincolnitess! I love the white--so pure and pretty. :)

Here's mine covered in buds with one bloom so far. Pretty pale lavender and cream. I have no clue as to what cultivar it is, so if anyone has a guess please let me know. (It's about a foot tall, tops, so not a large columbine.)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Close-up look at the bloom...

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's a nice color Kayly. It might be from the same Spring magic series as my blue and white one. That series has a number of different colors and all of them tend to be shorter plants.

This one just opened for me yesterday. It is a nameless seed grown one and the pink and yellow is not a favorite color combination, but I let it grow anyway. They are all pretty to me.

This message was edited May 20, 2008 8:11 AM

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I love seeing your columbine pictures. I haven't had much luck with columbine cause they don't like our South Texas heat so I've pretty much given up on trying, but I sure think they are beautiful.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

They're all so pretty! I always say I'm going to get a few more but for some reason never do. If anyone has extra seed in the Fall, I'd be thrilled to get some from you and will pay for postage.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

lincolnitess - I actually like that unusal color combination on your columbine--it's pretty! So, is that one that self-seeded from a parent plant and looks completely different from the parent, or did you plant the seed yourself? I haven't had my columbine reseed yet.

And thanks for the tip on the Spring Magic series. I'll look it up! :)

Pretoria, South Africa

Oh I just love your photos - they remind me of fairies! I started some from seed last year, and can't wait for them to flower this coming spring/summer.

phughes, they seem to do fine even though I'm in zone 11. They get some morning sun, and shade in the afternoon. Maybe that will work for you as well...

Elsa

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Elsa when do you plant yours as far as the season? spring?? fall?? I came very close to buying a few this spring. Lowe's had them but I resisted. My friend did so and I'm waiting to see how hers do. What cultivars have you tried? I have seen where some of the columbine say they can be grown in Zone 9 (which is my zone) and others say Zone 8.

Patty

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

About 16 years ago I started a mixed package of the McKana's Giant seeds and over the years they have crossed and given me a lot of babies. I usually find them growing in my pathways or some place I don't want them and move them to a bare spot. I never know for sure what color they are going to be so just hope they will end up looking OK where they get planted. By the time they bloom, I never have any idea who the parents were. I like the long spurs on the McKanna Giants. I started a Pink Tower one from seed last year that is going to bloom soon. Can't wait to see what it will be like.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/151983/

Pretoria, South Africa

Patty,

I started them from seeds (last winter) from some very generous DGers. It only stated the colors of the flowers, so it will be one huge surprise once they do their thing. I transplanted the plants into the garden in early spring, and they have been growing the whole of last summer. The leaves started looking tatty about three weeks ago, so I cut the larger older once off, and the new ones are looking just gorgeous... Will take photos once they flower round about Sept/Oct.

Elsa

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

more columbines...

Thumbnail by claypa

A. canadensis

Thumbnail by claypa

---

Thumbnail by claypa

My favorite thing about columbines is the bloom time - they bloom during this slightly awkward time between the spring bulbs and all the late spring/summer flowers.
My least favorite thing is the leaf miners - this year I'm going to be more diligent about picking off the leaves they're eating, maybe it will help.

Thumbnail by claypa
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Love the columbines! Who can ever have enough of them? Just so elegant.

I've got several from the 'Winky' series and some others in the garden.

This past winter I wintersowed 4 bins of them and have loads of 'McKanna Improved', and other No-ID seedlings to plant in the garden for next year's bloom.

lincolntess, this thread made me order more columbine seeds for late summer sowing!

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's Origami Blue & White

Thumbnail by momcat
northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

And here's Aquilegia flabellata White Angel

Thumbnail by momcat
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

They are all so pretty. I really like the White Angel one. I'll be interested in seeing some of your 'McKanna Improved' ones when they bloom tabsco. Mine have mixed some much over time that I'm getting lots of faded colors and should start some new ones from seed again. This one is a Dark Blue Barlow. A little more downfacing than I like but it sure gives me lots of blooms.

Susan

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
I usually find them growing in my pathways or some place I don't want them and move them to a bare spot.

Susan, that can't possibly be right. I've seen your gardens. I don't recall any bare spots. Did you tear something out?

You may get a visitor very soon. :-) The only columbines I have are some I wintersowed and they're still very tiny. Everyone's on this thread are just heavenly!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

hi all. here are a few pics of some of my columbines
thsi one is winky double

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

this one is leprachaun........ probably wont bloom until next year...... love the foliage

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

purple and white variety

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

song bird robin

Thumbnail by shokami2
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Your purple and white one is really nice. i love the deep colored ones. Leprachaun looks like an interesting one with that varigated foliage.

susan

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I like the varigation on Leprachaun too. Do you know what color the flowers are?

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

i googled it from peoria gardens and it looks like its going to be a real pretty dark blue. it isnt going to bloom for me this year so maybe next!

Thumbnail by shokami2
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

It's really pretty, love the variegation on the leaves too. I've never seen anything like it.

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm really enjoying everyone's columbine photos--it's the only way I think I will ever be able to do so! I have never had any luck with them at all, and I have no idea why. Even the seeds I wintersowed are doing nothing. Nada. Zilch. You get the idea!

Is there some secret to growing columbines that everyone but me knows? ;)

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

thats why i got it! i like weird and unusual stuff. was making a delivery and saw this on there shelf and said "gotta have this!"

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow - beautiful!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

wow sorry your having problems with them. most are hardy to zone 3 so that shouldnt be a problem. are they in well drained soil? and full sun?

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Goldenberry,
I have had no success with starting Columbines from seed, either. All of mine were purchased, and they keep coming back year after year, but no volunteers from seeds, either. I tried wintersowing this year, and nothing so far. I've picked up some very pretty no name columbines at local garden club sales. I don't know where in NE Illinois you are, but if you are in the chicago suburbs, there are alot of garden club sales around here this time of year.

Deb

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The way I like to start columbine seeds is to wrap them in a damp paper towel, put them in the refigerator and let them stay there until some or all of them germinate. Sometimes takes a few months. Then I pot them up and plant them out in the fall or spring. I tried winter sowing some two winters ago and had poor germination. Not sure why.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I like this lavender and white seed sown one.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have a number of the pure white ones.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This one is very light pink with white.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think this one may be Robin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.