Any idea what cultivar this could be?

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

I bought this at a big box store a few years ago. I forgot what cultivar it was supposed to be, but it was supposed to be a pinkish single bloom. And, for the past two years, that's how it has bloomed -- as a single pinkish color. This year, it has completely changed, and is clearly a double purple bloom -- I'm definitely not complaining because I love purple!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

Here's one more picture...

Here's the bloom from the first year...

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Possibly Proteus. It can have double and single blooms.

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I have one like that in my garden and its called blue ravine, hope that helps

Delaware, OH

looks like proteus to me. in my zone 5 a, proteus blooms early as a double from mature vines at the end of may. gorgeous huge blooms. then in august it blooms again single, which i deadhead as soon as they start to wane to assist the plant in preparing for the spring blooms next year.
this plant is a heavy feeder and needs fall fertilizer to prepare for the doubles, as well as the standard spring fertilizing.
enjoy!

Thanks much, all!
I'm leaning towards the Proteus. This is the first year it's thrown doubles and when I saw its first bloom, all I could say was "wow!"
Thanks for letting me know it's a heavy feeder! I'll just include that with my brugmansia feeding regime.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree with yall..it looks like clematis "Proteus" to me as well..semi-double woohoo...Jeanne
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=617

Delaware, OH

proteus

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.