Too late to sow poppy seeds?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi, guys. You've all been so helpful already, so thanks! I've got another beginner question for ya.

I have some Oriental Poppy plants on the way, and I'd like to do some others in the same bed from seed. Is it too late?

I have Iceland and Oriental (perennial) and some annuals: California and Shirley.

I'm in Zone 6a. High was 58 yesterday, but today it's 70! Whatever shall I do? Have I missed the window, or is it worth it to toss 'em in and see what happens?

If the seeds won't work, do you have other suggestions for the bed? I've got quite a few Chinese Lanterns coming (both kinds), and I may do some Irises. I need some shorties for the outer areas...

Thanks!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Definitely not too late!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I did mine a few weeks ago - they come up fast.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Great!! I actually threw them in yesterday...;) What the hey, I figured. So glad I did. Thanks!

I might plant my half-eaten poppy seed muffin - hee hee.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Are you growing muffin tops now Victor?

Well I do have Viburnum 'Blue Muffin'!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sounds smurfilicious!

Perfect for a Sunday morning with coffee in the garden!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

teehee, Vic.

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine aren't going in until this rain stops and it isn't too muddy for me to till out my new beds. I have a bunch of annual varieties (somniferum) I'm trying out including Drama Queen which looks pretty stunning by the pictures. I'll bet as soon as I do get to plant, it won't rain at all... BOOOO HOOOOO!!!! ;)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

If they can make it in Mexico you should be OK in New York's dry spells. I had quite spot of somniferum that stood up to the dry spell we had last summer with flying colors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.