Yellow Early Prolific Straight Neck, No Male Flowers?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

My squash, planted in early April, is starting to bloom. However, I haven't seen ANY male flowers. One the eight hills, there are probably at least twenty blooms, but all are female. There are lots more tiny blooms forming, but it looks like there are ovaries on most of them. From all the other posts I've read, it looks like the males should appear first. Am I doomed to have no fresh squash this year?

David

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am having the same exact situation with my melons, but in reverse. I cant seem to get a female flower, and it isnt just on one variety, I have cantalope and melons in that EB.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is unusual for the Early Prolific Straight neck to set females first. Many of the newer hybrids are developed for maximum production of females. They will even out if you have several plants. The first few will abort, but the plant if healthy will take care of the problem.

This is a Black Ball, one of the newer hybrids. Not only is it female first but it is earlier than than other cultivars, so it will abort. As soon as others catch up, there will be plenty of males

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess I'll have to be patient...When I saw the female opening on Thursday I thought, "I'll be eating fresh squash on Sunday!" I like to pick them small and slice them and fry them seasoned and floured. Maybe by next weekend.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

having trouble with my squash this year as well.

Christi

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I was too impatient....now there are plenty of male and female blossoms--as well as happy bees. There were a few of the first squash that aborted because they weren't fertilized, but not too many. The plants are otherwise full of blooms. I actually harvested the first squash this morning. I'd say there was about 5 pounds. I'm ready to slice and fry for supper!

David

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Ummm...I have a dumb question

How do you tell the difference between a male and female blossom?

BB

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

You have to look under the dress.

For cucurbits (squash & cucumbers) the female blossom will have the baby fruit/ovary below the blossom. The male blossom is on a thin stem with nothing below the blossom

David R.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Females sit atop the miniature fruit. Males just have a skinny stem.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Gotcha

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.