Hybrid Epiphyllum, Orchid Cactus, Epicactus 'Tel Star'

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

WOW WOW WOW Clare!

Too beautiful!

How are you? Happy Spring!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Wow is right, so vibrant!
I see your epi show has begun in earnest, I have my first bloom open this morning, a cutting I got 4 years ago from Happenstance's garden and she didn't know it's name. I have added several more since then.

This message was edited May 15, 2008 10:46 PM

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Thanks, Kell and Sue.

Happy Spring to you too, my friend. I'm doing well and keeping busy. I hope you are doing well too. I'll have to send you an email to catch up on things. The roses, lilies, irises, epies, and brugs are blooming now after the lilacs and wisteria finished. Soon the plumies will be in full swing. I hope your garden is putting on a show for you too:-)

Sue, my epies started about mid-April and is starting to wind down now. Candy is great and has a lot of beautiful ones. I think she mostly has pinks and whites, but I know she has added some last year or the year before. I always love seeing her pics. I actually have a lot more pictures that I could upload to PlantFiles, but I can't because I don't know the names and there are too many hybrids out there to find the correct one.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

This one is a fragrant apricot one that I love:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Gorgeous, and fragrant too, that's what I like!

I am not so much into the pinks so I added yellow, white and oranges.
I have 11 named ones and 3 unknowns now.

Me too:-) I like the white, yellow, and oranges too. I added a bunch of the fragrant ones to my collection last year or the year before. 'William Clark' bloomed for me this year, and it smelled yummy. Here is a stunning yellow from last year. I don't know the name of this one, and it hasn't bloomed for me this year yet.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Kell, I just saw all the pictures that you are uploading to PlantFiles and wow right back at ya!

Wow, now there's a wake-up sunny yellow!

Here's the list of the ones I have in my Journal, I can hardly wait to add my own images.
http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/Calif_Sue/62953/name2/

I also have two tagged as 'Bertie' and 'Teko'. Can't find any info on those names.

I recognize 'Clown' and 'Whirligig,' and I have 'Deutschland' and 'Calisto.' Here's 'Calisto' below. It is a huge white with yellow back pedals. 'Deutschland' is supposed to be fragrant.

There are so many thousands of hybrids and names. I am not bothering with the names anymore except for the ones that I bought from Epies by Pat, which I know are correct. I stopped labeling a while back because they are all potted together and hard to tell apart from each other unless in bloom.

You can check for those names, if you want, over at the gallery here: http://www.epiforums.com/

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So good to see you! I bet your yard is a beautiful sight! Mine was doing pretty well then yesterday it went to 104. I am afraid to go out and look today. I am dragging to, I was up all night in great discomfort after some laser surgery. I just couldn't lay with my head down. Tom slept thru oblivious to my plight; at 5 AM I was so unhappy I almost woke him up to suffer with me. LOL. What a wife. But I will have to get out here very soon to water. It rarely hits 80 here, so 104 is not good. LOL But........ maybe my plummies you sent me will love it more than the usual chill here. What are the temps where you are?

All your pictures are such a delight. Makes me want to get lots more epis. I have a few but all in 4 inch pots except for 2 bigger ones. I think I am only going to get 3 blooms. Poor me. But none as pretty as yours. . I think I may need epi lessons. You are so good at teaching Clare.

I am going to let myself wallow in self pity for a couple more hours, then I am going to get it together and go water outside in the heat. Why I do not go out in the morning cool, I do not know. I hope all things are perfect with you, Clare! You are always one of my favorite people!

And Sue, LOL, another plant need you had that I didn't even know about. You are as bad as I am!

I saw your Calisto in the PF and got excited! I think I have one single bloom forming.

I know Kell, collecting any plant is fun! After the one I got from Candy bloomed, I was hooked and had to add more.
Here it is, it's such a big in-your-face bloom, makes me excited to see them. I really should make an appointment to go see the ones growing in the back of Regan's, I think it's Don something that grows them.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Don is a great guy. He has some beauties. Last year I wandered in when he had a little show going on. He also sells at the SF Flower and Garden Show, Sue. I think 2 years ago, he gave myself, Zu and Lali a tour of his greenhouses. I met him years ago at Regans.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

He had 2 big tables full of little bud vases.

Thumbnail by Kell

Hi Kell, I'm sorry to hear that you were in discomfort last night. I totally would have woken up hubby to suffer with me. LOL! Been there; done that! It seems to me that he was annoyed that I woke him up! Feel better real soon, sweetie.

Yes, I think the plumies will love this heat and spring into action for you. We are having a heat wave here too. It is 95 here today, and I think it was 80-something yesterday. I love it, but it does make me have to water more.

Thanks so much for the compliment, but your pictures are even more spectacular than mine. I'm going to have to nominate you for UBer status.

I think your epi's just need bigger pots. You can put all the hybrids together in one big pot, if you want, like I have. Then just fertilize them when you fertilize everything else since they are actually heavy feeders. Some people swear by fish emulsion, but I haven't used that stuff in a while, but you can't go wrong if you have it. Other than that and regular watering, they really don't need much and do pretty well with neglect. You are too kind, but your green thumbs and hands can grow anything!

LOL! I'll be watering right along with you. I too should water in the morning but don't. I need my 20 oz latte first!

You are a complete doll and one of my favorite people too:-) Please keep in touch more often by email, and I'll do the same. I'm going to send you an email right now.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Even his garbage was the best. LOL

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Clare, I feel better already just hearing from you!

LOL, Kell! Those pictures are beautiful! I've been picking the fragrant ones and bringing them inside as well. They look great in the bathroom!

Sue, that is a beauty!

Kell, if you ever pass my way, please come see me. I'll load you up with epi cuttings!

Oh Kell, I think we need another tour of Don's, and Clare's too!!

I do hope you are feeling better today and have a better night. I only got 4 hrs sleep last night because I was just too hot, going for a nap as soon as I pick up grandson. Not much else to do in this heat anyways.

You need to get them into bigger pots Kell! Here are my two older ones. The one on the left is going to open for me for the first time, got it as cuttings from the neighbor across the street. I love shared plants, makes them special even without a name. ^_^

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

That's a beauty too, Sue!

Ok, I had to come back here, I am so excited! My second epi ever to bloom here opened this morning, 3 at once. I thought the one above was big, it's a mini in comparison! This is too fun ^_^, I am hooked!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/852343/

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Awesome! Congrats! Yeah, they are fun ^_^

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So pretty. I need to go collect all of mine in one place and start taking care of them so I get such great rewards too!!

I need to be more diligent about fertilizing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.