SHARE YOUR POT PLANTINGS FOR PORCH AND PATIO

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mattsmom, that moss lady is AWESOME! What a great idea! Very cool.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Victor!

Nice work, Thom!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Victor, you made me go back and look again!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

It does look like it's sticking out of the pot!

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Victor, the JM in that pic, which is in my neighbors yard...they usually do the "mushroom" chop to it...I mentioned once that they were potentially killing a tree that they said they loved, pointed out water sprouts, and they have left it alone for 2 seasons now...I hope they don't revert to the dreaded JM Mushroom this year... :-/

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 8:08 PM

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I think this is my favorite color combo, I might have to do all of the planters next year in this combo!!!

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Yes, 7 is very nice, Thom. I used that petunia to fill holes in a small bed last year and it was fantastic.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

one of my favorite petunias too.... they are all filling in nicely Hem

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

As a new JM owner I need to know what the dreaded Mushroom trim is.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I just added a few of those petunias to two of mine as fillers. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Another one. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

The bigger picture. I am now done with the deck garden except watering, feeding, dead heading and enjoying until Oct when they all get dragged back into the GH. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Patti what's the big fuzzy plant in the second photo?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Some more. DH got the shoe one for FD as a joke. He lost one of his clogs for a long time. Our dear old Dog, Jessie, who died 7 years ago took it for a spin into the woods. I found it last year so I potted it up with some Coop sedum plants that came last week with a few plants that I plucked from various other pots. He liked it. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I like the clog planter. Great story to go with it too. What does 'FD' stand for?

Fathers Day ?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Hey, yup. That's probably it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It has been so cloudy and rainy for a week I have nothing to show.
Everyone who lives in the sunny parts - - - Keep on sending pics.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

ge--it's what I refer to, not sure if everyone does or if I just do, when people "prune" their JM's and the JM's end up looking like giant mushrooms. I do not know how else to explain this, other than they look like half globes on a stick. It's right up there with the dreaded "mulch volcano." Which, in reference to the "mulch volcano," I am seeing more and more problems---long term--with clients that call into the Garden Helpline at the extension office; for some reason local landscape people do this!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I know what you mean about the volcanos,you got into it awhile ago,thought it was a hoot.
My tree has a cascading affect.
Pretty flat at the back but two tears of branches ,I love it and am lucky DD knows a thing or two about stuff like this.

This is the new JM with the straight back and tiered layers.
This is how I like to see them.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the "guilt" JM I had planted for DD last fall
Beautiful interesting branches.
I will try not to touch them because I don't know what I am doing.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

FD Yep, he got to make me dinner in bed on Father's day. He is the best, or I am the worst. Toss up.

Thom, I have sinned. I let a landscaper plant two new trees for me last fall as we needed a machine to move them and he did the 'volcano' thing. I have been waiting for them to leaf out and bloom to knock down the mulch. I was afraid to do it until now. I will rectify the sad situation this week. Promise.

GE1836, nice Jmaples.

More silliness, but with another good/bad story. These head planters were a gift in 1990 from my best friend and her new husband. She had put together some parcels of land back in1981, so we could both build houses next to each other when she was divorced and broke with two young kids. We paid the going retail price for the land to her, less any commission, so she could get her piece of land for free and then she sold 2 more pieces so she could build her house with those profits. Smart gal. A couple of years ago, she sold her house and moved in the summer to Me with her husband to be closer to Grandchildren. I did the interior layout for her new house and then the week they were moving into the house, her DH, was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I miss her being next door and I totally miss him since he died. But I have them smiling down at me each day. The planters move to the GH in the winter and continue to make me happy with their goofy hair. She will be visiting this summer and I go see her in Me often. BFF. Patti

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 8:46 AM

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

bb-1 season shouldn't have done any damage. As was posted before, I believe in another thread, what tends to happen is the mulch (or anything else for that matter) that is up against the trunk of a tree tends to invite all sorts of nasties, everything from Voles, ants, fungus, etc. On newer plantings this can also over heat the shrub/tree/plant, and though most peeps feel mulch is a good thing, rain tends to get sucked up by the mulch instead of the plant/feeder roots. I would hate to have anyone have anything negative happen to their landscape due to this.

ge--I'm going to be out and about today. If I see a Mushroomed JM, I will take a pic so you have a better idea to what I'm referring...someone might thing I'm really cookoo today...lol.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Allison, I think the fuzzy plant you're asking about in Patti's 2nd picture is asparagus fern.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Patti, I love your face planters. Sad story. You're a wonderful friend.

Harper

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I Love #7 Thom - and I just happen to have those petunias on hand for next year!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Allison and Carrie, sorry, the fuzzy plant is not an asparagus fern, but dang if I can remember what it is at the moment. I haven't entered it in my journal yet. I have the tag, somewhere. I will post information later. It has a small orange flower, I think. Useless this morning. Patti

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

don't worry I feel the same way

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is an update ontwo parts of the deck garden
Sunny part - -top row #1 taken in early June #2 june 23
Shadier bottom row #1 early June #2 june23

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

ooops the top row is shadier

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

This is the mushroom prune for a JM. I didn't get the full pic, there is another one pruned the same about 20' to the left of this one. The people who live here were pruning it...lol.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OMG MY worst fears are realized. Why cant people leave the tree to grow as it wishes?
This is my container with the Lollypop Lilies getting ready to pop. I think I posted this a week ago, couldn't resist.

Thumbnail by ge1836

That is ugly. Limbing up to expose the great structure is fine, but don't (mis) shape the top into a ball!

It almost don't look real.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

They are abundant/rampant in this area...not sure if it's a pandemic or not...lol. Between the mushroom JM's, and mulch volcanoes; not sure what is the better of two evils. That and we have many home owners, the area is largely Catholic by religious affiliation...but we have lots of, what I refer to as "Mary's in a Tub" all over...usually 1-4 per block, per street. It's the Virgin Mary in a alcove (not sure of the proper name of what she is in) but usually the outside is painted bright white, and the inside (where the V M is) is a light blue. Sometimes, all 3 in one planting. If I see it, and have my camera with me, I will post pics. People are gonna start talking, "Did you see the guy with the camera, taking pictures of our yard?"....lol.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thom, we have a great many of those religious statues in my neighborhood too. What I think is the funniest is at Christmas when Santa, Rudolph, the Virgin Mary, Dumbo, Mickey Mouse and Winnie-the-Pooh are all worshiping at the manger at the birth of Baby Jesus, along with the Seven Dwarves and the Three Kings.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Carrie...LMAO...If I were drinking 7 Up it would have just flew out of my nose. There is one house, I so need to drive by there sometime soon...In the same yard as the V M statute, are those wooden cut outs of the ladies bending over with their bloomers showing...lol...along with the mushroom JM's.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I guess for the sake of your motherboard we're all happy you weren't drinking 7up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.