SHARE YOUR POT PLANTINGS FOR PORCH AND PATIO

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I hear you on that! They named it Rockland for a reason.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here are my tumbling tom tomatoes and a barely making it cucino cuccumber

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

see that's why I kept the journal this year.... those brightly colored snaps are the Chimes Bronze... I wasn't even close

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just started keeping garden notes this year. My memory is Krap at 72 so I really need it.
There are some coleus that have dissapointed and I don't want to buy them again.
Also when did I plant those bulbs?
Where did I mean to move the peony?
Journals and notes are a must.

I am going to start keeping notes. How can you do it when some of the ID tags are missing!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The plants become NOIDS until you remember what their name is.
I inherited a lot of Iris, including Siberians and other spring bulbs and peonies. They are all noids as far as their names go, some of the plants have no id's.
Relax it will come to you.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I love everyone's containers. I especially enjoy seeing the changes to them as time passes. You should all take a few of the same container like GE did.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Garden containers are expensive. i keep looking for random things i can use as containers...

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

They can be very expensive. I only buy when they are on sale so I don't feel bad about spending the money.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i have a few little ones from the dollar store, and a big Dk blue and aqua metal drinks tub from walmart that i got for $9.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I look for end of summer sales in of all places Target and Linins and Things,also KMart

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think I have that tub, Amy! I was going to use it as a container, just drill some holes in the bottom, but it got side tracked in the bathroom and now holds extra toilet paper and stuff in the bathroom. I also have some galvanized tubs from HD, I don't think they're meant as planters because they don't have holes, but you have a drill, right?

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Depending on the metal - and how big of a hole you are looking to make, sometimes a hammer and nail works just fine. But Eric can take things to the scene shop at school and use mighty power tools, and so sometimes i let him...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Wouldn't metal over heat the soil?
I have tubs I'd like to try, let's hear how it goes.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i dunno - they make metal planters, so i figured it'd be ok.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

RIGHT I forgot about them.
I only look for the faux terrecotta fiberglass ones for no particular reason.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i'm just sick of them - it's like all i have - the totally cheap ones, i know there are nicer ones available. But i am afraid real terracotta will break, and wood is so expensive.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Real terrecotta has to be watered too often to suit me. Stuff dries out really fast.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I paint terra cotta, although I don't know if that changes the permeability.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

There are sealants out there for terra cotta. I have used them, and they work. I believe if you bought a Thompson's Water sealer type of product that should work also. The good thing about terra cotta, if you can find a shallow bowl type of planter, it's great for Alpine plants, and makes a neat little succulent garden!

Most of my planters are glazed ceramic, only draw back, they weigh a ton. My one planter weighs in at a mere 70lbs! That is without dirt for the last planter. I have the 1/2 and 1/4 whiskey barrel planters, and then the plastic ones that hug the deck rail. I try to experiment with planters...that's the fun of planting in them.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Well, i just went crazy at Goodwill buying potential planters. Some will hopefully hold nursery pots, others will get holes knocked in them for actual planting. i also got a couple bright colored plastic containers at the dollar store - i am so sick of the fake terra cotta, fake stone, and green plastic which i have way too many of!
BOTLO for pix soon....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you go for it Amy!!!

Tomah, WI

This is my front porch.

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful mattsmom

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Real nice wreath...........suggesting you do a three or four pix how to for all who might like to try making a wreath. Great porch display. Although I likely could get away with making one I have never seen a "HOW TO" shown or written up in a magazine. Think many would enjoy the read and pix. If you inquire it may even be an article you could sell for the site use.

Beautiful porch! How often do you water the wreath?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great porch and great plants.

The guy on tv looks like he's sitting at your table!

I thought the same thing! Its the DH and he just got out of work as he is in a suit!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

hahaha... Very Twilight Zone-ish. He glows.

Orange!

Tomah, WI

The Husband in the pix was on TV! LOL

Here is the link to the wreath form & instructions

www.kinsmangarden.com/departments.asp?dept=1084

The liners are something new, my forms are old so I use spagnum moss.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That is very cool, Mattsmom, I wonder could you (or I, for instance) make something like that wreath out of stuff I've got around? Instead of buying it.... I love your porch and guest star, though!

Tomah, WI

You could probably form it from chicken wire, stuff it with moss, & plant . I might have to try that myself, maybe in a heart shape(?). I'm sure that would be do-able. Thats how I made my moss lady for my garden. Maybe you have seen her on another thread. (Sorry if you have seen her before.) Forms for all this stuff get pretty expensive. Back when I got my wreath form they were only $19. And the prices on topiary forms are rediculous!

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I wish I could show side by sides, but, I am not that technically advanced with either iPhoto, or the Kodak program that came with my digi cam. Here are the pots that grasp my deck rail. In the same order:

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Tomah, WI

Hem- Wow! Your deck rail planters are filling in beautifully! They are lovely!

Very nice, Thom. I really love the mini JM in number 3!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.