SHARE YOUR POT PLANTINGS FOR PORCH AND PATIO

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I'll start it off with my stacking plant pots purchased from NJ Supply Ltd. These pots are of exceptional quality as advertised.

My planting medium is aproximately equal thirds of: good garden soil and compost, organic potting medium and coir with a modest amount of organic fertilizer Fertrell's 4-2-4. I am pleased with the early plant condition and growth. There are real live worms in each level. Find the one in the picture and win a prize.

The mix of plantings includes flowers, herbs, mixed lettuce and onions. The empty space will be filled with Coleus and a few drops. We are eating onions and replanting daily.

When the planting is completed mulch will be added to conserve water and to beat some of the weeds.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks nice, Dwaine. Does each layer drain into the next lower one? If so, I would be concerned with excess salt build-up on the bottom layer from all the fertilizer above. Would need to be flushed more than normal.

These are self watering stacking pots. Each layer can draw and drain. I use no fertilizer containing salts of any concern. No flushing will be required. This system is very well engineered.

Sounds good. Part sun?

(Zone 4a)

I really like the look of those pots!!! I think it looks great. If I find them around here I will be sure to buy them!

There are five wheels on the bottom water tray. Rotate to share the sun and shade. That spot gets about five hours of sun.

Here's a link:

http://www.stackingpots.com/prod_selfwatering.asp

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Mine is in "Sea Foam" green, have had it for a few months now just haven't filled it yet. I liked it so much I bought another one for a friends B-day!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have had strawberry plants in a smaller version of your pots for 3 years now.... been outside every winter... pots look great... plants not so much.... seems a lot of the soil has worn down mostly due to my part of not pulling the plants out and adding more... last year they were booming though... most of the time the birds or bugs got to the berries before I did... but I did get a bunch of them... but the pots held up to freezing / thawing .... I am going to add some new plants that I picked up last year to replace the pooped out ones... some of the runners I stuck back into the soil last year so I have a few new ones from the old plants ... but overall the pots themselves are great

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This iis a great thread.
I'll post pictures when the plants are a little fuller.
My pots are from previous seasons fall sales at KMart,Linens and Things. I don't like to pay more than $20.00 for the biggest ones 24" dia.
I bought new pots at Lowes, smaller pot $14.00 and Big Lots has nice ones if you search 20" pot for $14.00 - 12" pots for $6.00
pictures next week when the sun comes out.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I can't resist: these are my deck garden tubs the dark ones were from Linins nThings

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

and the rest

Thumbnail by ge1836

I too will come back with pix of the more traditional pots and containers. I have one that is extremely creative which shall remain a secret until I get it planted and looking like it belongs. We are still toying with the possiblity of a last frost. For that reason the outdoor planting here has been held up. If we get a late frost it will likely be this week up to and including the full moon on the 20th. Meanwhile I am a digging, potting and planning this years edition of the Gipe Patio dressings up. We took the whole circus into the house last evening just in case it should drop below the 40's. We are just like the kid with a cone of ice cream licking the edges to preserve the last drop. Next week towards the end we will go out to stay for the season. It would be rare if we see frost after the 20th.

Pittsford, NY..........may the Gods of the North winds smile upon your makings too. Your pottings will make a dandy show.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I got home from work this morning, and Paul greeted me with an email receipt...I will be the proud recipient of 3 more Earthboxes this year, making my total 4 Earthboxes. I can't wait! I had an amazing crop of Zuchinis from one last year.
http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/EarthBox/prodinfo.asp?number=DB+TRC+ORGANIC

I might have to add some stackable pots to my pot collection!

I'll be taking pictures of all of my garden craziness soon enough. The pots I have planted up already have the potential to be truly nuts this year.

N J Supply Ltd. has patio boxes that sit on the floor, side railing and block terrace walls that have UV protection built in to extend use life featuring high quality. The cookie jar ran short or I would have a couple of them too. I like the quality and feature design of these boxes.

A number of my friends have them and are very pleased with them.

Today we had a good period of rain. I can see the excess moving from pot to pot and out at the bottom. This assures me that the internal water holding features are full and that the excess is being drained off.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Very clever pot design.
My cookie jar is empty too. I'll wait for fall sales to buy more containers for next spring.
This is a nice thread and as soon as the sun shines here I'll update on my containers.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

here they are:
LOTS o Pics

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

there are cannas planted w.coleus and another annual at far right

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

planter with peren. dwarf baloon flower, annual lobelia and Rosydawn Elfers

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

cannas in pot on top with "wishbone plant" Rosydwn coleus Copper Glow
bottom annual mothersday yellow pansey
annual Flying colors
coleus Copper glow

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

top pot Lobelia ( what would we do without it)
large pot at right
red Asiatic lily
coleus Hot Sauce
coleus Grace Ann
annual Flying colors orange
impatiens

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

the last one
top pot Cannas
annual Flying Colors salmon
coleus Copper Glow
impatiens new guini coral
bottom left assorted annuals
New Guini imp white
Bottom rite:
Asiatic lily "Lollypop"
perennial dwarf Baloon flower
New guini Imp white
Coleus "Big Red"

Thumbnail by ge1836
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I've been looking at the Earth boxes, wasn't sure if I wanted to hand over the $50 for it, but sounds like they are good?

My guess is that the NJ Supply Ltd. boxes with UV protection built in will hold up just fine for fifteen years. I have not seen or made opinions about some others that are out there.
I have been told and believe that NJ Supply Ltd is equal to or better than many. I have their stacking pots which are really a well engineered system of stacking pots. Placing a covering over them in winter or taking them to inside storage would extend any plastic based product significantly.

Play with the numbers..............Why with a little effort I can get them down below five bucks a year....even lower if I push the pencil a bit harder. :) Shucks if you throw inflation into the mix they might even pay you to use them. Cut just one good night of bowling or a top shelf dinner and there it is. Don't buy one pair of designer pants. That's how I warp my mind into affording some of the nicer stuff for the garden or patio.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

debilu- When Paul handed me the email printout(receipt) I almost choked on the price, since he had purchased 3 of them. What I did last year was order directly from the company, was the basic kit, which with s/h came out to about $38 or $39 for one. The basic kit is the Earthbox, grid, watering tube, casters, and 2 different types of fertilizers, one that is an all purpose fertilizer, the other for tomatoes, and the cover that stretches over the top of the Earthbox. The kits that Paul purchased for me have all of the above, and the soil to fill the Earthbox up. I like them, and feel the are virtually goof-proof. The only thing, in regard to the Earthboxes, you need to do is water them...that's it...no feeding, no weeding, nothing. They have a 4-gallon reservoir in the bottom of the box itself, and when you water through the water tube, any excess water comes out of the bottom of the box. Just one note of caution, which is kind of funny, if you do buy an Earthbox, pay very close attention to how many plants you should plant in it. Like others have posted in other threads, I also tend to pack my containers tightly and make them look "full." I planted 6 zucchinis in the Earthbox last year, lol, and after a couple of weeks had to cull the 6 down to 2 (which is what Earthbox recommends) they were growing so fast and so large that they were starting to choke each other out. Out of the 2 zucchinis that I planted in it though...I was harvesting all summer long for myself, and my family!
A garden center near me sells the Earthbox kits, and they have them on display, this garden center has a large green house area, and at Christmas time last year, they still had Cherry tomatoes growing in one of their Earthboxes! lol

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info - they do have them at my local nursery, I may just get one...

IT'S A SEMPS PLANTING

Lowe's came up with this nice 18" dish planter. My Semps are just a begining planting..........a gift from a friend on this site. I even had a few left over to share with my buddy next door. I call it my Semps nursery. Planted in a 50/50 sand and potting soil medium. Now they may do their thing.

This message was edited May 21, 2008 8:40 PM

Thumbnail by docgipe

IT'S A P#@@ER

Captured this at an auction for a buck. Absoutely priceless but no one wanted it worse than I. Today it became a sideshow in my Semps patio circus. So here it is for your enjoyment. Waiting now for the neighbors to find it. ]:o)

Thumbnail by docgipe
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, Dwaine, that might even qualify as one of my blue pots - the judges will take it under advisement. ^_^

In the first picture, how many sets of "Six pots each have three pockets for flowers, herbs, small plants, even vegetables" are you showing? I might have found a great price - but it might not be, with shipping. Looks pretty, anyway. Good work everyone! I think I just ordered my rosy dawn coleus too early. This year.

GOOD GRIEF............ IT'S A "GASUNDER" goes under the bed. Note the taper. The attendent got the patient to the edge of the bed. Placed arms under the patients arm pits and lifted gently while someone else shoved the "gasunder" under the patient. I will not bore you with the rest of the duties. Those were the good 'ole days.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I know! (Spent enough time in hospital - they're not that different now...) I just meant it would fit in with my blue pot collection - har har har, joke! You can keep it for your collection, ok?

Antiques on the Road Show would throw me and the pot out the door. I drilled it for drainage and threw away the lid. No such thing as an old expensive bed pan unless you can prove Elvis used it.

Oh my gosh! You would have to have DNA.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

On left side of the front door, pot #1:

Persian Shield
Plecanthrus 'Mona Lavender'
Begonia 'Capricorn'
Several no id coleus
Sweet potato vine...not sure which variety
And a neat little grass...no id also

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

would have helped if I posted the pic...lol.

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

On the right side of the door, pot #2

Iresine 'Blazin Rose' a Blood Leaf
some no id coleus
Coleus 'Tilt a Whirl'
Colues 'Pink Chaos'
no id sweet potato vine
2 of those grasses again, in pot #1 and this pot, they are:
Stipa tenulissima 'Pony Tails'

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic

Nice pots..............I am learning by mimicing such nice works.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW Thom: What a beautiful Pallet. The inclusion of grasses is a novel idea.
I'll post some of my13 containers but the plants need to recover from the cold few weeks they have been out prematurily.
Guess I'll also post on "mistakes I've made" thread.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very nice..... I started putting together some of my pots yesterday... I am not so professional with the colors... mine are a bit wider on the color scale

:)

but both of yours are really nice... is pot 2 going in the sun or the shade?.... if it's shade I was wondering how the iresine does

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.