Lets talk natives!!

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

Since I'm relatively new to Aussie natives (being a US ex-pat), I have decided to experiment and have a native only bed under the Callistamon tree in our front garden. The bed is coming up to a year now. I've lost a Darwinia citriodora, Banksia 'Birthday Candles', two Leptospermums, and one Crowea.

What has thrived: Myoporums, Eremophilias, Correas, Kennedia prostrata, Prostantheras, Goodenia, Alyogynes (can't recommend those enough!!).

Yes, I have alkaline soil!!!

I need to shift an Olearia and one of the Prostantheras. Anyone know if they are ok with that and if so, when is the best time to move them??

My native bed:

Thumbnail by khopton

Hi K ...I am no expert on natives, but I do know they hate to be moved ...hate fertilizer ...hate wet feet and love neglect so good luck ...I am sure one of the experts will give you some good advice.(Ispeak from my own experience/I live on heavy clay)
My natives are
She Oaks
Bottlebrush
Grevillias
Black Bean trees
Grasstree (rescued from the tip)
That is all I can keep alive around here because of the wet feet/ fertilizer thing ...I tend to hurl lots of manures and blood and bone stuff around and the others just drop dead at the smell of it I guess.

Merino, Australia

From the look at what has survived for you khopton, I would be planting more Correas and Grvilleas. They thrive here in my clay soil ( on the alkaline side ) There are some really nice small and prostrate Grevlleas. I have grown most of my Correas from cuttings 'borrowed' from the local Arboretum.
They grow quickly and nothing seems to worry them. If you would like some cuttings, Dmail me . I have about 8 different ones. One is a prostrate red flowering one that just does so well. I have one in a creamy color that has grown to 6' It can be straggly but grows in between my Abutilons happily. They never get watered ( except for the first establishing period )
Bottle brush also do well on clay soil and don't forget some of the gorgeous small Acacias. I have 2 Silver Wattles here that bloom beautifully. There are lots of the smaller natives that will fill in spaces between the bigger ones. The local Points Arboretum near here was established quite a few years ago and has one of the largest collections of Eucalypts and other natives in the southern hemisphere , so is very handy to visit and see what grows where and how.
It's also handy for seeds and cuttings.
Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I am native ignorant, but believe they can be transplanted as long as you can retain the soil around the rootball without any disturbance. Not an easy thing. I would transplant them at the end of winter as they start to wake up. That way in Spring, their roots will get a move on and they will/should establish themselves. If you do it now, there will not be root growth till spring, and they will run out of the reserves of starches in their stems and leaves before the end of winter.
Good luck
Sue

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

I always try to recommend not just native plants, but locally indigenous species as well. One of my faves is http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69049/ which is native to much of South Australia, including the Adelaide plains. I have grown several from seed, and am rather distraught at probably having to leave behind a well established young plant which I put in the garden here and which had its very first flowers just over a month ago. BAH!

One of the best places I have struck for local SA natives is Provenance Indigenous Plants. They are located at 27 Circuit Drv Hendon 5014 and you can ring them on (08) 8345 0300. There prices are really good, especially on small tube stock. I purchased all my native grassed from them a while back and couldn't be happier.

Ciao, KK.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.