Unknown pink dwarf iris

Greenwich, OH

This is the first dwarf iris that bloomed approximately a week ago.I like the color of the iris.

Thumbnail by skimper
South Hamilton, MA

What was the source?

Greenwich, OH

This was purchased at Walmart years ago,it was one of my first irises.
I divided the clump up last fall and shared with a friend here on DG.

Greenwich, OH

I located the name of this iris on the internet,it is called Betsy Boo.

South Hamilton, MA

Betsey Boo is spelled with 2 e. I don't know how the internet recorded it, but the 2nd e is there, probably named after a friend who spelled the name that way. Betsey Boo is old enough to be in general commerce.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

It's extremely difficult, perhaps even impossible, to identify a "mart" iris with any degree of certainty. The "marts" are notorious for purchasing culled, unregistered seedlings from iris hybridizers, then labeling and selling them with the names of similarly colored, registered irises. Your pink SDB is very likely an unregistered seedling that just happens to look similar to Betsey Boo. It shouldn't be labeled with that name, however, until you acquire an accurately identified Betsey Boo from a reliable source, then grow it side by side with your unknown so that you can do in-garden comparisons of all plant and growth characteristics over the course of a year or two.

Laurie

South Hamilton, MA

That is one reason when seedlings are not needed they should be destroyed.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Okay, my Betsey Boo bloomed in 2005 and is going to bloom again this year. This pic is a bit tattered after a storm but shows the color pattern and beard color.

Betsey Boo is an historic SDB by Bob Warburton Reg 1974 Intro 1975 14.5", E-L.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Oh, forgot to add the grey in the falls does fade out to being very faint in the sun. It also is known for having poor form.

Greenwich, OH

Nice!photo of your iris.I like the historic irises.One of my favorites is violet harmony tall bearded historic iris.I always look forward for the blooms.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Thank you. I got Violet Harmony as a bonus from Iris City Gardens but it has never bloomed. Am looking forward to seeing it. Does it have scent?

South Hamilton, MA

Hybridizer of B. Boo was Bee (Beatrice) Warburton one of the early workers with medians.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Thank you Lucy. Mind and fingers while typeig seem not to work totally together. Correction appreciated. Grin.

South Hamilton, MA

It's just that Bee was all for women doing things & wouldn't like being thought a "he". Maybe Betsey Boo will be in the show as a historic and you might be able to see a stalk. Pink does look a bit washed out in the caffateria lighting.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Oh, I will be seeing Betsey Boo possibly tomorrow in my own garden. She has pink tips showing today.

South Hamilton, MA

Great!

Greenwich, OH

Mainer,
I never noticed if this iris has a scent.When the iris blooms,I will see if there is a scent.The color of this iris is awesome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.