USA now enforcing import legislation

Straide, Mayo, Ireland(Zone 9a)

From the 21st September, the US Dept Agriculture is going to enforce the legislation already in place banning the importation of seeds, among other items, unless a phytosanitary certificate accompanies them. There have been many rumours over the last few years that this was going to happen , but this time it seem that it will be in place in under four weeks..
Jane

Here is the "summary" section of
the USDA announcement:

SUMMARY: This document gives notice that we intend to begin
consistently and routinely enforcing an existing requirement that a
phytosanitary certificate of inspection accompany restricted articles,
other than certain greenhouse-grown plants from Canada, that are
offered for importation into the United States under our foreign
quarantine regulations for nursery stock, plants, roots, bulbs, seeds,
and other plant products. While the regulations provide that a
phytosanitary certificate must accompany such items, this provision has
not been consistently enforced with regard to all shipments of
restricted articles arriving at U.S. ports of entry. Therefore, we are
providing this notification to alert affected importers and members of
the public that we intend to enforce this provision on a consistent,
uniform basis. This action is necessary in order to more effectively
mitigate the risk of introduction of foreign plant pests associated
with the importation of these commodities into the United States.

EFFECTIVE DATE: September 21, 2001.

The full text of the announcement as published in the Federal Register
may be read at:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2001_register&docid=01-18299-filed

Biel, Switzerland(Zone 7a)

Hey Jane,
Good to see you back on-line,and thanks for the information.
Gwist

Maastricht, Netherlands(Zone 8a)

Can you tell me how they could find out if an envelope contained a small amount of seeds if it would just seem to be a letter to an American friend ? They would have to check all envelopes. They must have more important things to do, I hope.

I think it would be only a problem for seed traders if they exchanged large amounts of seeds or big seeds.

Johan

Beerburrum, Australia

Hi Jane I hope you dont mind but I have copied your information and posted on club.
I have over 200 seed swapping memebers who will be interested in your research.
Many thanks:Iron Bark Bob
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thetomatostake

Straide, Mayo, Ireland(Zone 9a)

Hi Iron Bark Bob

No, I don't mind at all that you have posted this information . It doesn't seem to be generally available as I have seen no mention of it on GW , but it has been widely publicised and discussed on Alpine-L , where many of the well-known nursery owners and plant growers in USA have been taking it very seriously indeed. As Ajuga says, it may still be possible to get a packet or two of seed into the country but there are going to be major problems for the seed exchanges of UK societies such as the Alpine Plant Society , the Hardy Plant Society etc who will be unable to issue seed to their members in USA and even severe difficulties for NARGS, half of whose members are outside USA and these will not be able to donate seed.In the long run , this means that the choice of plants available to American gardeners is going to be restricted. If USDA take it as seriously as officialdom does in Australia , it will become very difficult to exchange seed with people in the States from now on . I was told recently by the recipient that a package with seed sent to Australia by a member of DG was opened and scrutinised before being allowed in ..this is routine. Seed intercepted entering America will not be allowed in without an accompanying phytosanitary certificate,which most traders will be unable to afford, so attempting to smuggle it in will indeed be the only option .
Jane

Beerburrum, Australia

Hi Jane.
I've had some mail opened in the past but nothing was removed.
Envelopes seem to get through fine.
Thanks again for your timley information.
I will be watching with intrest.
Regards I.B.B.

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

Does this mean that if I (in U.S.) want to order seed from Richter's (in Canada), I need to do it this week?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I think the non-U.S. seed companies will either comply and provide the phytosanitary certificates or they will refuse to sell seeds to U.S. residents.......

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

I wonder if NAFTA/World Trade Organization agreements will have any questions with this. Does anyone know?
Jane, thanks for the Federal Register link. I've posted it on the Motley Fool Gardening Board.
Seems as though bulb, orchid, tropicals, and succulent/cactus growers will be affected by this also if they seek new stock from outside the USA.

se qld, Australia

According to several postings at various forums, this has apparently been put off until January.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

down under is very, very strict, but I've been able to send in normal mail enveloppe, needs to be well dissimulated / discreet. cristina

Bellingham, WA

Yes Gardengal it has been postponed untill Jan 1 2002. It tells on th eUSPS site but I don't have the link handy.

I am Tonny Surrow-Hansen from DG´S brug forum

In discussions of the USDA-APHIS enforcement of January 22. 2002 online seeds/plant exchanges, that refuses to pay for physiosanitary certificates, are accused of spreading viruses all over the United States America. Are these people going to be the scapegoats of a thing, that noone can`t really stop?

Here you can follow or/and influence the discussions:

Links:
Yahoo Brugmansia forum:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brugmansia/

Dave`s Garden:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/brugsetc.html

Seedsman:
http://thornapple.topcities.com/

Best regards

Tonny/ DG brug forum

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

Will be following the latest news about it.
Hope to go on seed trading with gardening friends in the USA;and at the meantime i do not want at all to be a scapegoat.
That is what i am thinking.

My son works as a county agriculture agent and gets mad at me for collecting seeds outside this area and bringing them home to plant. He is really adamant about it. I mostly ignore him but evidently he knows more about it than I do. This new enforcement is probably a reaction to 9-11. A plant disease could be just as devastating to our agriculture as a human one would be to us. Don't worry. I'm not a "Seed Spook" though. I'm not in complete agreement with the restrictions but I do understand why they might be concerned.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Lantana - pushing the mandatory phytocerts were in the works before 9/11. I think 9/11 delayed them until January. I have mixed feelings. I don't agree with it .... but I can understand that some regulations need to be enforced.

We have recently had a scare here in GB regarding Brown Rot in potatoes from imports (dull story so won't relate here).

Lantana you are right one disease or type of insect could have a significant effect on a crop and like you I don't agree with everything about the restrictions but I do see why they are thought necessary.

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

Yeah, i agree with you.
One of my neighbors,who is a foresting official
in my local county,tells me a new orchard pest
has been found in my region.they possibly come
from some inported apple saplings which
pest eggs are hidden in them.they do great harm to
the plants.so China also restricts plants'in-and-out.
however,i think, a tiny of garden seeds should be agreeable.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.