First Peonies Part Two

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/810433/#new

The old thread might have been getting long for those on dial-up

Here is 'Mollis' finally opened, cool weather and all.

Thumbnail by magnolialover
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's another. Okay...so I cheated ^_^ But don't these peony flowering tulips remind you of peonies?

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

very pretty ml- i'm still looking at the buds here - but it won't be too long! such a pretty tulip- but it won't be in the garden as many years as your peony!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Actually Mags, there was some flap several years ago about some peonies at Wally-world that were called Lavender Lady. The box that they came in showed a picture of a tulip peony on the cover instead of a real peony. :) Again, as per Wally-world, the real peony didn't resemble the picture on the box in any way, shape or form. :) And why would it? :) LOL

My Roselette is blooming right now, but it got some serious frost damage this spring and every bud that has opened so far is deformed... *sigh* And my double fernleaf peony is all but dead or dormant... I haven't had the heart to dig around it too see if it is really dead or just fooling.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Coming from Wally World, should I be shocked? ^_^ Get what you pay for, but then again, that's what we keep preaching, isn't it now?

It's not one that you split now is it Ticker, the fernleaf? Hope not...

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

No, it's one I got from a friend about six or seven years ago. Last year it had 10 or 12 eyes coming up, this year it had one eye and that one has now decided to give up the ship. I think it was this winter that did it in. I think it was just in a wet spot and didn't like it. Normally, the ground isn't as saturated for as long as it's been this year. I think it drowned...

However, I did pick up a replacement for it when I was out monkeying around with Leann, Colette, Judi, Shelly, Kit and Gary. :) It had seven eyes, so 40 bucks later, it was going home with me. :) LOL I will work some good drainage in the ground for this one, just to be on the safe side.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

What a wonderfully diverse world we live in. As some of you are still awaiting your first peonies to open up, mines are at their tail end. We are expecting our first 100 degree day today. Spring is over. This photo was taken a few days ago. The heat and wind of the last couple of days has taken their toll on the remaining blooms.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Sooooooo pretty. Looks like you have it in a raised bed. Does that help things in your area?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi magnolialover - I have these on a raised bed because the planters were already in the backyard when we purchased the house almost 20 years ago. I took out the crepe myrtles there were in each of the planters, and changed them to flower beds. I also have peonies at ground level, as shown in photo below. They grow in either case. For the record, we are at 101 degrees right now. looking back at the cool spell we had last month with great fondness.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Very nice tulip. Tracey - and yes you did cheat :-) But that is a great shot and would be wonderful if there were a herbaceous peony like that - though you could approach that color in tree peonies!!!

Steve

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

BTW your Mollis is gorgeous!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Very nice peonies, soilsandup!! Mine finished a couple of weeks ago, but we're not hot yet. Had a 93 degree day last weekend but today was about 70 and very pleasant. 70's and low 80's here.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

lovely pink blousy peony soilsandup- I sure hope it cools down for you-- its getting getting closer to peony time here. My P. japonica will open tomorrow if the sun shines... Its the first, and is almost more of a foliage plant in a way- huge lobed leaves.. and a big plant altogether.. The flowers are simple white singles

Thumbnail by sjms
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok you guys the first peony I have that is decent enough to be photographed is blooming. It's a tree peony that I picked up at Blains Farm and Fleet about 10 or 12 years ago.. It's a Chinese tree peony called Zhu Sha Lei.

Thumbnail by Ticker
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That is very pretty, Diann...looks like you have several blossoms open on that one! We have one purple tree peony as well but we transplanted it last fall and no blooms this year :-( Do you have other tree peonies?

I like your peony japonica, sjms - still would like to see the open blooms!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes, Steve, I think I have like five or six tree peonies. I need to go out and catalog them. ;) I'll check tomorrow night and see if any of the others are blooming yet. I didn't make it back to those gardens today.

I was working on the west sidewalk bed and I've got it 3/4 of the way done. It won't take long to finish tomorrow night if it doesn't rain...

Sjms, did your peony pop yet? Please post a picture of it. ;) I need a peony fix! LOL

Diann

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Tree peony Shimanishiki popped today!! This is it's first bloom ever! :) Yay!!

Thumbnail by Ticker
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

That is very beautiful, Diann. Congrats on your baby's first bloom!!

^_^

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Steve. :) Hoki and another one who's name escapes me at the moment are getting ready to pop too... They should pop tomorrow... :) Yay!!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Beautiful shading on that one. I see I need to get more tree peonies. I only have 2.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Pretty, pretty Ticker!

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

My first peony of the year. Bought this practically dead 3 years ago close to 3 buds this year!

Thumbnail by yehudith

Ops! Here's just the peony

Thumbnail by yehudith
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful bloom Diann. I tried to get a picture of my tree peony's first bloom but I just couldn't quite capture the color. My High Noon should bloom today or tomorrow ... of course we're expecting some rain too. :-(

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks guys. :) I hope to have more blooms from that peony, but I think there was only one bud this year.

Yehudith, Cute little bud there, and the flower isn't bad either. :)

SJMS

Looks almost like a gardenia, what's its name?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hoki popped!

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Shimanishiki opened wider....

Thumbnail by Ticker
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Gee, I feel really outclassed! Here is Paula Fay -- not quite open, but I wanted to play, too! Do you like the ants?

Suzy

This message was edited May 22, 2008 3:03 AM

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Suzi, I love Paula Fay!! Unfortunately mine has acted weird for the past few seasons. I need to dig it this fall and move it from it's current spot. Please post more pictures when it opens up a bit wider, ok? :)

Diann

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is the 3rd bloom on Coral Fay.

Thumbnail by daltri_z5
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

High noon.

Thumbnail by daltri_z5
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'll have to check the name on this one. I can't remember which one it is but I love the deep red color.

Thumbnail by daltri_z5
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Another day or two and this one will be open.

Thumbnail by daltri_z5
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh, just lovely!!! Keep the pictures coming! :)

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh, all very nice. Keep sharing...they are just fantastic.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Paula Fay is going to be just a mess of petals. Maybe we both got funky ones! I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Here is one, the provinence is shrouded in mystery, but it came from a rare plant collector friend of mine (indirectly, as it was first stolen from her).

Open today: It could be Top Hat. I don't think it's Buckeye Belle because it is very smooth and never ragged. It is also taller. It blooms about -5 from Red Grace or Red Charme or whatever the main one is for bloom time sequence. :)) I need to se what they show for -5 and see if I can get a probable name on it.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Daltri, I like your red and pnk/coral singles - they look great. Congratulations!

Ticker, awesome, more tree peonies!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

It's always me to exclaim: Finally! A peony opened here! It's always the first of my tree peonies to open and yesterday, finally some descent temps, it thought it could expend the energy and today it's here.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Another view, just for fun...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.