Why won't they bloom!?

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

When we bought our house we had lots of plants, evidently it had origianlly been professionally done. The previous owners did nothing to it. Nothing bloomed and half of what was there was 3/4 dead. I've saved Golden Seal, rescued Camassia and Day lillies and Hostas and a bunch of other stuff that I never knew was there until one spring after another it popped up and bloomed. I'm not kidding. I feel like I live in a magic garden. If I don't know for sure its a weed I don't pull it out. I actually have aeserium growing as well as trillium and may apples. This is crazy! The long and the short. There are lily of the valleys all over, but they never bloom. Help. I don't want to rip them out, but if they don't bloom they're not going to take up the space of something that will. Can you give me some advice?

Thanks

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

do you know how many different plants are called lily of the valley ? :-) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=lily+of+the+valley&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
and the fact that you posted this question in the shady forum leads me to believe you think they might need more sun ???
the other plants you describe most definitely are shade lovers, so you must have lots of it ???
but some of the lily of the valley plants are not, can you be a little more specific ?

Dick
with very little sun amongst the redwoods

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.