40 Years

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Here's a story about coneflowers I thought some of you coneflower fans might enjoy.....I sure hope you do. If you did I hope you got a smile out of it.....if you didn't enjoy it, please call my brother Ralph at home between the hours of 12 a.m. and 5 a.m., tell'em I said hi.......:)

Here's the link:
http://web.mac.com/sinai/Site/Blog/Entries/2008/5/14______________40_Years.html

Paul From Alabama

Thumbnail by PaulFromAL
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Been there , done that!! lol

Love it!

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I have loved coneflowers ever since I first read about them, or saw them, not quite sure which came first. I lived in FL in zone 9 and could not keep them going in ground or pot from year to year, but I sure bought more than my fair share of already flowering plants. I'd stick three plants in a large pot and stare at them just like you did. I'd even move them around from one spot to the other trying to give them more sun, less sun, whatever they might want. They'd get a little taller, maybe one or the other plant would get another bloom, but they never got that big lush look I longed for, and then in the late summer or early Fall, they turned into wood. Now I live in VA and I bought some Big Sky bare root plants from one of the DG co-ops. They are very healthy looking but only about four inches tall. I am giving coneflowers another chance to be my most beloved flower. I hope they don't disappoint. By the way, I loved your article, but if you want me to, I will call your brother anyway between 12:00 and 5:00 AM and give him your best. Does he love coneflowers as much as we do?

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

nanny......so glad you liked it.....

Pam......Good luck with the Big Sky plants.....I been reading about the coop you folks have here and want to look into one later on......and so glad you enjoyed the story.....But as for my brother?......If coneflowers were planted around a tennis court he might comment on them but I doubt it.....:)n

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

A great story, Paul:->> Thanks for sharing, I needed a laugh today!!!

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

tgggisk.....If you needed a laugh, I'm glad that story was there for you just when you needed it.....I hope you'll find some smiles tomorrow too,,,,,

Paul from Alabama

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I'll be looking for you to provide the smiles, Paul:-) Must say that your story is a classic if ever there was one!
Bev

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I you want another smile, then I hope this'll give it to you.....weren't me that was funny but everyone and the situation....right here:

http://web.mac.com/sinai/Site/Blog/Entries/2008/5/3_I’m_Not_Saying_Gardeners_Are_Psychotic.html

Paul from Alabama

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Makes me want to come to Jacksonville and laugh with the other psychotics. I'd be right at home. Funny thing is, I was just out in the garden putting in some of the hundreds of wintersown seedlings I've been working on. My son came out to make sure that I was aware that it was thundering and lightning and getting ready to pour. Yeah, I knew, lol! *Another smile*

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

tggfisk....Well every now and then, kids know best.....Well sometimes....a couple of times.....once.......:)

Your boy sounds like a good kid....I know he is....

Paul from Alabama

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Love your store of the granny-lady that grew coneflowers for 40 years!

Paul, your picture of how you massed out your coneflowers is just what I've been searching for! I want to plant mine that way too. If you ever see a picture of mine massed out, just smile knowing I'm your copy-cat.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Cordeledawg.....You have my permission to copy whatever you want.....All the sucesses......The failures?....Between me and you...the less said the better......:)

And I look forward to seeing yours however you decide to do it.......

Paul from Alabama

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Paul your garden is really spectacular! Where did you find your wonderful water feature? It looks like something from the 17th century. You mentioned your garden shed, but I don't recall a picture showing it. May we see it here? I love the way you gave credit to your neighbors and friends for their assistance. Your writing is very entertaining.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Pam....Thanks so much, I'm glad you liked the pictures....The water feature is a pretty big planter...It's ceramic, one second let me step off the porch here and I'll measure it with my trusty tape measure and we'll see how wide, deep, etc it is.....(Pam you can't get this kind of service anywhere else...:) ).....Back....:)
It's 45 inches wide and 15 inches deep...Acorus 'Ogon' a kinda sweet flag is what I got growing around it...I like the way the wind kinda blows it back and forth sometimes.....I got a small pump submerged in it and the fish thingie blowing water out of its mouth that my wife threatened me with bodily harm with if I didn't get it........:)

Let me see if I can conjure up a picture of my shed....

http://web.mac.com/sinai/Site/May_2006.html#62

That should tide you over till I add a big screen TV and jacuzzi to the shed......:)

And I give credit to my friends and neighbors cause they deserve it.......I'm old enough and wise enough I hope to know how important both are.....and thank you again for the kind words and for taking the time to write.....I hope you will continue to find something of interest or funny on there from time to time......

Paul from Alabama

This message was edited May 18, 2008 1:20 PM

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Here's another

Thumbnail by PaulFromAL
Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Great, you and DW are really ambitious gardeners. It's a beautiful water feature and one that isn't seen everyday. Your fish reminded me of the spouting ceramic fish we have, or had--a terracotta carp with a flaired tail on the side. I haven't seen it since we moved. I have a feeling the movers broke it and forgot to mention it. I'm going out to the garage and check the remaining unpacked boxes.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm only sure of one thing.....I AM NEVER MOVING AGAIN.......:)

Paul from Alabama

zone 7, TX

Just a little story about My coneflowers. After moving the babies ,from a small stand of coneflowers, to a more sunny area at my house last year. I awaited with baited breath for their rebirth this spring. But sometime during the winter my hubby dumped a loadful of decorative type rock in that one place that looked like it needed
some decoration, I guess. Then the coneflower started to come up in other parts of the yard, and I checked under the rock and lo and behold it was bent, but it
was growing around the rocks to get to the light.! Today there is a huge stand of the healthiest coneflower I could ever grow. THick stems and beautiful color. I guess
it just needed a little roughing up!!

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Ladybeetle.....the will to live and thrive is alive even under a load of decorative rock sometimes......great story, I love them coneflowers no matter what.....I had to pull up about 11 in the last few days because of a disease called aster yellows that attacks coneflowers, but I think the worst is over and the rest seem healthy enough.....weird thing, the ones I had to destroy where all tall, branched, and looked great except were showing the disease in a few cones but I had no choice but to pull'em up.....was joking with my wife, told her it left a hole in border and in my heart but hey that's life in the big city as they say.......one more thing, I got a small stand of Mango Meadwobrite, maybe 3 plants, and it smells so good, even I can smell it....'Sundown' and 'Sunrise' both have a nice fragrance.....again.thanks for sharing your story

Paul from Alabama

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Paul
Are the yellow hybrids hearty? Do they increase well. I have had Double Decker for 3 years and it is slow. Maybe, I should side dress with some compost.
Teresa in KY

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Teresa..Hi.....I haven't grown Double Decker before, but I'd think a side dress of compost would be a good idea....the yellow hybrids you're talking about, if its Sunrise or Mango Meadowbrite you're referring to, they're hearty in Kentucky I know...the literature on them say zone 4 - 11.....for my money good drainage is the trick for making sure they come back and prosper too...Good luck with yours...

Paul from Alabama

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I haven't found any locally yet :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.